300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. I sell these same led floods to customers and I replace drivers all the time. I don't blame the manufacturer, I just came up with a superior system. As soon as I am certain this is working as it seems to be doing, I'll post how to do the modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Still plugging along. Modified my ATS. It came with 4 Chinese floodlights that all failed within 3 months. I added my own lights that consist of 480 1 watt LEDs that both illuminate the algae surface better and panels last years. Not suitable for the reef, but for this application they work great. Also looks more compact.

Anybody still out there?

Hey greg ,.. Kinda been in the doldrums here myself ... Not much happening reef wise on my side of the world, a few ups and a few downs but for the most part most everything is ok.... Returning to Hawaii in 10/11 days but this'll be a non snorkeling trip so I won't have any underwater pictures to share with the gang.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474527609.957615.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474527625.475654.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474527637.933456.jpg

Modified ATS using hundreds of small LED's to saturate the algae mat. Doubled the productivity from the 4 50 watt led floods that kept failing. Unit is more compact and I think looks cool. Spectrum tilted towards green plant matter.

Yes, but I have more than I can deal with already! This is the same scrubber Dary bought, but mine was a pain in the a##. I kept losing drivers in the floodlights that were included. This is far brighter and more compact than the original unit. The led panels only cost $35 each (4 needed).

Luckily, my lights haven't had any major issues yet.... but.., if and when the day comes I'll know who to see :)

So far so good. Disassembled the broken floods it came with (4 out of 4 failed) and in all cases the emitter was burned out.

Wow !!!! Amazing results ,.... could you get a pic of your customization ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It is very satisfying taking a bucket of algae and disposing of it knowing is has locked up lots of nasty stuff permanently. Between this and a good protein skimmer, your good to go. No chemicals, no way for it to screw up. ATS has kept my reef going for 25 years with not one tear down.

Go back a few posts. I think you were gone when I posted those pics.

Yup , somehow I missed'em.. wish I had some knowledge regarding doing electrical stuff like like that .. I'm very good at doing a lot of mechanical stuff and repairs but when it comes to that electrical stuff ol " sparky " draws the line

There was no electrical stuff to do. The lights just plug in, I use a bungee to hold them up. But if your floods aren't burning out, I doubt you need to worry about it. I lost the emitters in all four original fixtures. Can't understand that. The drivers should have protected them. Nothing else has any problem on those circuits.

I hate plumbing, but Lord I've had to do it my whole life...

Last edited:

I got my Triton water test today. I do one every three months now and boy am I glad I did.

I have been watching calcium carefully as I have about 50 pounds of acro growing now. It's a calcium sponge. I have a Hanna Ca meter and the Red Sea titration test. The Red Sea said I had over 500ppm. The Hanna said I had 400ppm. I suspected something as my caps started to recede and that has been a result of low calcium before. These SPS sneak up on you lowering Ca levels. The Triton test flashed a warning and said I had 180ppm Ca. Yikes! So to heck with these worthless test kits.

Last edited:
Wow !!! Hard to believe they'd be that far off .... now what are you going to use for your " at home " test kit ?

Back
Top Bottom