300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I trust my Hanna alk and P4 tests, but obviously Ca is beyond my ability to accurately measure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just been occupied with the new year. My son is taking over many of my technical duties as I near retirement. I'm also trying to be sure I have my health insurance/Medicare issues shored up for the new age.

Had a couple of SPS colonies just magically bleach last month. Still don't know what did it. Five years work gone in 24 hours. If I wasn't insane I would have left this hobby 30 years ago. But I carry on.

Trying to develop my own doser as the current ones are all junk IMO. The little parasitic pumps are crap. Will keep you posted.

Still trying to decide what to do with my 4" clown tang I raised. He's still in the frag tank, alone. He is very active and mean. I would love to move him to the main population as being in solitary isn't a good solution moving forwards. But once released into the big tank, it's all fate from there on. She is as beautiful as she is mean. Had a girlfriend like that once. ;-)

Sorry to hear about the colonies. It is odd how it happens at times.
As for the clown tang, that is a really dangerously mean fish that can do more harm than good. I'd keep him where he is.

.... that really sucks about the coral loss, frustrating when you cant quite put you finger on it either,.. if anybody can figure it out it'll be you

What in the name of heaven am I going to do with this spectacularly beautiful clown tang? I guess a fish only with lion fish and eels.

300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

Just been occupied with the new year. My son is taking over many of my technical duties as I near retirement. I'm also trying to be sure I have my health insurance/Medicare issues shored up for the new age.

Had a couple of SPS colonies just magically bleach last month. Still don't know what did it. Five years work gone in 24 hours. If I wasn't insane I would have left this hobby 30 years ago. But I carry on.

Trying to develop my own doser as the current ones are all junk IMO. The little parasitic pumps are crap. Will keep you posted.

Still trying to decide what to do with my 4" clown tang I raised. He's still in the frag tank, alone. He is very active and mean. I would love to move him to the main population as being in solitary isn't a good solution moving forwards. But once released into the big tank, it's all fate from there on. She is as beautiful as she is mean. Had a girlfriend like that once. ;-)

Lol,...same decision awaits me when I release my qt'd powder blue into the main tank

Last edited:
I'm going to make a mesh box and place Bozo the clown tang into the main reef for a few days and see what happens.

I want to re-establish more invertebrates, like small crabs and snails. What do you recommend and what supplier do you recommend?

I'll be very interested in how the mesh isolation box works for you cuz that's my plan when I introduce a blue tang to my system in the near future ,...Dary standing by :) for updates

Now I'm anxious. One of the most beautiful and aggressive fish in the hobby possibly entering one of the most awe inspiring tanks I've laid eyes on.

What kind of inverts are you looking towards Greg? I have used reefcleaners with great success.

Just the basic selection. I heard reefcleaners was good. Yes, I really want to introduce Bozo to the main reef, he is the smallest tang by far. But he is a crazy little fish. I'm making a big box for him with some pvc to hide in. Will closely watch him for a few weeks.

Maybe the saving grace might be that bozo IS the smallest of the tangs,..maybe the others won't feel threatened and will leave him alone ....on the other hand , maybe bozo being crazy may go after the big guys to show them he wants respect and wants to fit into the herd too....of course we will need to see pictures :)

Well my son has succumbed to the profit side of the reef business. He has started
http://comoreefs.com/

I just ordered a pbt and sailfin tang (quarter sized) to add to This Old Reef from him. He has a lot of nice corals.

I love my new pbt ,..beautiful addition to the tank , a quarter size sailfin would be a real cutie ,ya gotta post some pics !!

Back
Top Bottom