300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He's going with me. I don't have much backup in place. Somebody will be living in the house but they aren't ready for anything big. Will just keep fingers crossed. Thanks!

Seven days. My underwater camera messed up but our divemaster was a professional photographer.IMG_5948.JPG

Me and nurse shark

IMG_5952.JPG

My son and a turtle.

IMG_5947.JPG

A moray friend and his trio of watch lobsters.

Wow !!! Your son's underwater video was superb !! Was your drone footage just aweINSPIREing or was it MAVICacent ?? :) either way it was beautiful !!! Looks like you all had a wonderful vacation !! Welcome home [emoji537]

Last edited:
Thanks, it was the little Mavic. Winds were strong but it was rock solid. My son has always found photography easy for him. He does a great job.

Greg, what are your thoughts on these new 'algae reactors"? I'm looking for some sort of nutrient export for the new system, and the old DIY algae scrubber was pretty beat up by the time it came to move.

Interesting question. These "reactors" are designed just like a UV sterilizer. The growing area is much smaller than a conventional ATS. But for smaller systems it might be just fine. My question is how easy is it to clean? The quartz sleeve will need to be cleaned quite often.

Are those the ones that you place some chaeto into the cylinder and basically the chaeto grows confined in the cylinder until its harvest time ?

Last edited:
Last edited:

I would challenge that. $1300 are you kidding? A ATS, no matter how fancy the language needs two things, a large surface for algae to grow and a large surface of illumination. I don't use chaeto anymore as I think filament algaes export as much if not more nutrients and grows more densely. My ATS is the same as Dary has except I modified the LED panels. It takes up little room, is easy to clean and cost about $300.

Back
Top Bottom