300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice to see the fox face ,blue and yellow tang getting along ,.... much the same with my fox face ,powder blue and scopace tang too :) ,... did the googles come in yet ?

I still like the defroster. The grinder is a waste of money imo.

Added a 3" sailfin tang. He's getting the hell beat out of him. Hope he makes it. The other tangs are belligerent to each other, but nobody gets hurt. Tangs are in general a pain.

No sign of the headset yet. May 20th is first shipping. Going to Cozumel to dive with my fishy friends end of the month. I hope it and my Bixby Jet are here.

https://bixpy.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine in front of a circulation pump that keeps the container stirred up. It delivers all the food slowly. Good for some fish, not so good for others. My long nose hawk fish loves it.

The maroon clown in my tank swims up into it and waits. It is right above my MP40. I always have to shake it to get the food to flow out of it. Might just be the flow in my system.

If it's food that stays sunk I position the top holes about half way under water so there is flow thru. If it's stuff that floats for a while I will position the top holes out of the water. I make sure a power head is directing flow at the defroster.

I just complicated my life. I added a small powder blue and small sailfin tang to the reef. They are doing fine but my hippo that I grew from 1/2" to 6" is broken out with ich. First batch of ich I've seen in twenty years. He is a very fat fish in good shape that is impossible to catch, so I'm hoping the stress level will calm down so he can recover. Should have never added a new fish.

Whoa ... crap !!! Don't second guess yourself ., you're only trying to move foward ,.. what's done is done .,ya just gotta take a deep breathe and try and figure out how to proceed forward logically

My very old sailfin finally died so I wanted to replace him. I have also always wanted to grow a powder blue. Had the opportunity to buy two very nice specimens. They are doing great but they stressed out the big hippo tang. First time in his life he has ich. No other fish involved so far. Adding a large pond sized UV filter next week to help lower the number of swimming parasites.

My very old sailfin finally died so I wanted to replace him. I have also always wanted to grow a powder blue. Had the opportunity to buy two very nice specimens. They are doing great but they stressed out the big hippo tang. First time in his life he has ich. No other fish involved so far. Adding a large pond sized UV filter next week to help lower the number of swimming parasites.

How old do you think the sailfin was?

I think he was about 12 years old. Died of a two year long swim bladder malfunction. My yellow tangs just turned 15 and my coral beauty is coming up on 20 years old.

how often are you doing water changes and how much water do you use? Make your own RODI?

Amazing.

I think he was about 12 years old. Died of a two year long swim bladder malfunction. My yellow tangs just turned 15 and my coral beauty is coming up on 20 years old.

That's impressive Greg. I had my maroon clown for over 10 yrs and thought that was good.

Thank you for the nice words!

I use ro/di water exclusively. Have done that for the 25 years the reef has been running. I use the Triton method for the past few years. Before that I did massive water exchanges weekly. I now do a 5% water exchange once a month, but test for 30 different elements. IMO with proper filtration and adding the elements that get exhausted you can reduce water exchanges dramatically. In a 500+ gallon system that's a big savings. Not for everybody but it works for me.

Fish can live a long time. I get depressed when I hear somebody bragging about keeping a tang alive for 5 years, when I know it can live 4-5 times that long. I have two blue damsels that are originals that were added 25 years ago.

The real secret is consistency and perseverance. It's very difficult to keep the passion going for decades. But that is what it takes to build a stable artificial reef.

Last edited:
I assume you son will be watching your tank while you go on vacation,... I hope everything works out ok ,.. we'll be looking forwards to some more pictures and videos ,...safe travels greg !

Back
Top Bottom