300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is an amazing aquarium. Something you would see at a "paid aquarium" like the Georgia Aquarium or something. Stunning.

That is an amazing aquarium. Something you would see at a "paid aquarium" like the Georgia Aquarium or something. Stunning.

Gee, thanks. Maybe I could charge admission? Help defray the costs of this bad boy.

Everything is going back to normal except some persistent Cyano that formed when I dosed bio beads. Been reading all day and a approach to carbon dosing that seems to not grow Cyano is using vinegar. It's about 8 times less carbon but reports say the acetate in it doesn't effect Cyano growth. A really cool way to use it is to mix it with your kalkwasser. It not only lowers the extremely high ph but forces more calcium into solution. May try that one on a very small scale after everything settles out.

We are in Springfield a lot. We just delivered a new disaster response command and control mobile unit to the hospital down there.

... How many gallons/ frequency are you doing on your pwc's trying to get things back the way they were ?

I am going from 5% every other week, to 5% every week for a while. Brought the alk back up to 8.5 and I'm letting everything coast for a while. Did you go to Hawaii yet?

Re hawaii.., nope not yet., three weeks from today ! Gotta break out suitcase one of these days and toss some things its way...., it seems lime such a long time to go but according to the calendar i better get my butt in gear and fast ...Glad you figured out your tank and its on the mend., question.,are you going to run your phosguard/ carbon 24/7 or just in little bursts when needed?

Hope you have a excellent adventure.

I run carbon 24/7 because my reef is so mixed, I want to minimize toxin fighting among the corals. I will use phosguard sparingly in the reactor as GFO in it proved it works better than I though as far as stirring the media. Shut the GFO off and PO4 went from 0.35ppm to 0.12ppm in 48 hours. Now that makes little sense, but that's what happened.

I think the GFO chemically binds with phosphorus and couldn't be released into the water column by grinding it up. It would be GFO dust with P04 in it. I tried to capture the dust with a cotton filter sock, but maybe that didn't cut it. My best guess now is that the damage was done by the alk dip the GFO caused.

Well, I know the only way that Phosguard can leach alumina back into the water is under a big ph drop...don't know if this is something similar that is an odd thing not considered.

I freaked out when I saw this happening right after the GFO system was put online. Everything else looked good from a coral point of view. But it was upsetting the balance in my system, so I pulled it off line until I can sort out the problem. So far it hasn't spread.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393877775.964452.jpg

Cheap prices at that store. Maze brains for 19 bucks....even with the currency difference, it's not bad. They sell stuff like that here for 50-60 bucks.

Back
Top Bottom