300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't wait to see how it all turns out. My phosphates went up at the end of the month, as I increased feeding at the end of the gfo life span, and am seeing the same effects you are. That being said, hairy mushrooms aren't as effected as the other mushrooms I have are. But now that they are up to .14 they are much bigger.

I always forget I have them. I have them in the back corner of my tank. I was originally going to try and use them to trade...I mean I'd want a hairy mushroom as big as the palm of my hand.
I just wish I had more room to test out different lighting on them along with the phosphates.

Friday is the arrival date of the frags I posted earlier. My son works with this guy some (designed his web site) and he has been a great supplier. When these come in I will photograph them and post a link to the supplier. This guy seems very honest and produces very nice frags.

Who all does this guy deal with , Greg. I've been wanting to start introducing some new stuff in Springfield

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-C105A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How is the vinegar kalk combo working for you? I've been mixing/dosing the two for about three months now. Very little algae traces left in display. All corals appear to be growing much faster. More bacteria in water column to consume?

Bio beads are still plumbed in but I don't think they are doing much as they don't seem to be breaking down anymore. I believe the bio beads were feeding cyano as you mentioned the difference in carbon sources.

Frag order delayed until this week.

Interesting observation. About 10 years ago, I had a mushroom explosion. Following that about four years ago I also had a anthilia explosion. You have seen shots if my tank, I had loads of mushrooms and waving hand (anthilia). About a year ago, I started wanting to lower my P4 in order to help my SPS grow better. It worked and stuff like my GARF purple bonsai took off growing. In fact all my hard corals took off except, my caps aren't doing well, my mushrooms are bleaching and dying back and the anthillia is crashing. My assumption is these soft corals need more nutrients in the water and may not be compatible with a SPS dominant tank. ??? The caps being hard corals confuse me even more.

This happened twice before. I grew out basketball sized colt corals. They lasted la little over a year, then would melt. What a mess. But it would always grow back from a tiny spot of tissue and 6 months later is was basketball sized. This repeated over and over again until I got fed up with it. Seems these colonies might have a cycle they go thru.

I guess since most of these spectacular SPS and LPS corals are doing so well, I can afford to not worry about the loss of some softies. Funny thing is my soft coral frag tank is plumbed into the same system and the softies there are still flourishing. I have a big green leather in the main tank that is also flourishing.

Still fighting some Cyano but it seems to be a result of these softies dying back. Gonna do some siphoning tonight to keep thing under control. In one way it's a blessing because I was going to cut these softies back anyways to make room for some of the big SPS and euphilia colonies I have grown downstairs in the hard coral frag system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom