300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was lucky enough to know a acrylic fabricator in St. Louis who built the tank based on my drawings. They built the ATS as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421113208.177608.jpg
A shot with the top up. RapidLED lights. Top is now power by electric vs hydraulic and operates with a push button.

That's still pretty awesome to have a tank like that designed by you. Wish I had an acrylic fabricator buddy, lol.

Acrylic is actually pretty easy to work with, but I needed a oven to bend the front piece. Otherwise I would have built it all myself. I think there is a great reward for DIY, you learn stuff and become very confident that you can fix things that break.

Acrylic is actually pretty easy to work with, but I needed a oven to bend the front piece. Otherwise I would have built it all myself. I think there is a great reward for DIY, you learn stuff and become very confident that you can fix things that break.

Very cool. Agreed on the reward you get from creating something on your own. Can acrylic be tempered? Or is it stronger after heating it to get the bends?

It's not tempered, but it is allowed to cool very slowly to reduce stress cracking.

Ok. Just wasn't sure if heating the acrylic would do anything to the strength of it like tempering glass.

Need suggestions. I have a capricornus that has grown out to be 15" wide and protrudes out about a foot, making a beautiful overhang my tangs love. Not willing to frag it, yet. I want to however make some use of this big dark spot in my reef under it by adding something that does well in the shade. Looking at sponges, but never had good long term luck with them, except for volunteers. But I'm pretty sure any sponge I might want will need intense lighting. No anemones for me, so what?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Need suggestions. I have a capricornus that has grown out to be 15" wide and protrudes out about a foot, making a beautiful overhang my tangs love. Not willing to frag it, yet. I want to however make some use of this big dark spot in my reef under it by adding something that does well in the shade. Looking at sponges, but never had good long term luck with them, except for volunteers. But I'm pretty sure any sponge I might want will need intense lighting. No anemones for me, so what?

Got a photo of this particular area?

View attachment 261522

The green leather got moved because of a clown fish.

I would suggest a Trachy if there is available sea floor under that. Maybe a Ducan? Mine did very well for a long time with almost no light at all. A Sun Coral would be an awesome addition, but I'm not sure it would do well in your pristine water tank. You could always do some non-photo gorgonians if you have the room, or even some mushrooms. Either way, that Capricornus is really awesome and I wouldn't wanna frag it either! And just curious, what did the clown do exactly to get the leather in trouble? LOL

Back
Top Bottom