36G stock suggestions please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kellie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a new 36G bowfront, its planted right now, not ready for fish yet, but I need to have a plan for when I am ready. Dark substrate, darker background. Still looking for a good "cave-like" decoration but don't want one that will take too much horizontal space or look unnatural with the plants. In the past I've had several aquariums, from a larger aggressive tank to smaller peaceful community tanks so not a newb but with just one aquarium this time I want a stocking plan I will be happy looking at for the long haul.

SO, please help me with a good stocking plan, these are my ideas:
Non-debatable will be a school of cory cats (love those guys!) Hopefully pandas but if I can't find them peppers.

I wanted to do a good centerpiece but not something that will take too much room, not to fond of gouramis, so please don't suggest them, but I was thinking of doing either one or a pair of rams. The ram/s would be the last addition after the other schools are established. I don't know if a pair or a single would be better, no experience at all with them but I know they want perfect water conditions. I'm open to another suggestion for centerpiece if its something that will be easy to find or would work better with the other guys.

I want 2-3 schools other schools but can't decide what!
I'm definitly leaning towards one school being cardinal tetras.
I can't decide between:
Black neons, black phantom tetras, or harlequin rasboras (or some combination thereof)
Silver hatchets wouldn't be bad but I'm scared of their jumping ability and I don't find them as pretty as the above schools but their top swimming activity might be nice.

If/when I needed something for algae I'd go with 3-4 otos but only if necessary.

So please tell me what you reccommend I plan for my stock!

Thanks!
Kellie

Well no one gave me opinions but I really want some validation of my final(ish) decision on what to stock. I got my first fish yesterday (I was going for a "silent cycle" but just to be safe I seeded the tank with established aquarium gravel and the live plants were from tanks with fish in them, keeping a very close eye on water parameters just in case, the plants were thriving so I decided it was time to get the first fish).

I ended up with 5 harlequin rasboras and 2 rasbora espei, the guy at the LFS (local owned family business, I'm so lucky to have them near by!) said they'd school together as if they were the same, after I googled to confirm I bought them and yep, they are hanging out like they are brothers.

My final stocking plan 36G planted:
10 harlequin/espei rasbora the espei look adorable schooling with the harlequins so going to do a mixed school.
8 cardinal tetras
6 panda or pepper cories
5 black phantom tetras
2 bolivian rams
3 otos if necessary

Please validate this plan for me! The rams wont go in until the tank is several months old, same with the otos I will only get them if algae becomes a problem after everyone else is stocked. I got some really awesome wood pieces that will be added once I soak them enough to eliminate the tea bag effect, going to use those to create hidey holes and "caves". I really want opinions on the rams as they are the only ones I've never owned. Would two be alright together if they didn't pair? The ram info on the net seems so scattered I'd really like to hear what you guys think about them and the rest of my plan if you have any suggestions, additions or deletions. Please please respond.

Thanks,
Kellie

I think it's pretty good and like the fact you picked schooling fish that each have a different body shape. IMO it looks so much better when you have fish of different color and body shape... good job!

It looks good to me. The bolivian rams can go in right away in my opinion, as they are pretty hardy. It's the German blue rams that are more sensitive.

Thank you guys so much for the validation! Also, good to know about the Bolivian rams. The LFS guy said all the rams are really fast sellers, they were out when I was there browsing and picking up the rasboras. I'm planning a once every couple weeks trip to fill in my stock list a little at a time so if I happen to go on a day they have rams I'll snatch them up.

I would feel really nervous ordering online, can't be sure someone would be home for the delivery. How long are the fish ok in the shipping packages? I could always have them delivered to work if they'd be fine for the whole day until I could drive them home. I suppose its an option but I'd still be really scared about it which is silly I know since the stores get them shipped in. Do they give gaurentees in case the fish don't make it alive usually? Do you guys typically have good luck "cutting out the middle man" and getting the deliveries yourselves?

Almost every fish I own (which is alot of fish) has been ordered online. And as far as I know all stores have a "guaranteed to arrive alive" policy. You can read complete policies before hand. Live Aquaria has one of the easiest policies to work with if there are any DOA's and they have a 14 day live guarantee. I've ordered from them, Oddball fish, Aquarium Fish.net, and Mellow Aquatics (angelfish only store).

The way fish are packed for shipping they should be able to last a few days in the event they would be late. I've had fish arrive a day late with no problems.

Find the nearest UPS/FedEx Terminal and instead of having them sent to your house, have them hold the fish there, its a little safer doing that also, as they are not bouncing up and down in a truck, exposed to hot or cold temps. and when you get off of work you can go down and pick them up yourself, open the box right there in front of them etc.

Very smart idea. Thank you. I would never have considered buying fish online until reading from you two.

Back
Top Bottom