4-5 inch fish for 40 gallon breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrumpyGills

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to start a 40gb community tank (tetras, corys, pair of GBR) and I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for some larger fish that can thrive in this size tank. I would really like a (few) larger fish, 4-5 inches, but everywhere I research it seems like my options are limited to small schooling fish or fish that are still 3 inches or less.

Ideas? Are there any rainbows that might be the right size? Are boesemani too big/active (I've seen conflicting answers for this, I would like some additional opinions)?

Angelfish enjoy temps similar to rams. They get to 6". They are my favorite fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rainbow fish enjoy temps similar to rams. They get to 6". They are my favorite fish.

Unless I'm mixing something.most rainbows max out at about 4 inches. They do have large bodies though. Have you thought about angels?

I would love to get some rainbowfish (boesemani) , but I have been told/read that a 40gb is not large enough, to my immense disappointment. Which ones max out at 4 inches? Again, I really like boesemani, but some people say they get to 4 inches and others say they get to 6 inches and that I would need a bigger aquarium.

I have thought about angels, and I think that is one of my most viable options. I'm just worried about the height of the tank being an issue.

Unless I'm mixing something.most rainbows max out at about 4 inches. They do have large bodies though. Have you thought about angels?

I meant angelfish. I really did sorry about that. All the Info was there but I accidentally said rainbow fish for some reason.

12 Cardinal Tetras
7 Sterbai Corrys
2 GBR
1-2 Angelfish (single or a pair?)

I feel like I want one more species to finish off the tank.

You could do hatchetfish. They stay at the top of the tank.

Not crazy about hatchetfish.

I think I will check out what rainbows are available in my area. If I can't get Boesemani then maybe I can get some other rainbows that won't get larger than 4 inches. There are some gorgeous ones online, but I imagine they would be hard to find.

Most rainbows need more space, minimum 4' tank. I had a group of praecox (dwarf neon rainbows) in a 55 with plenty of plants, and they still beat up and killed each other.
The Celebes and Gertrudae rainbow fish would work, but they're nothing like Boesemani.
If you really want larger fish set up a 75 gallon tank, much wider stocking options there.

Maybe Mollys or Swordtails? They do fine alone or in groups. If you want more than one though, get all females unless you want to deal with aggression and fry. You may still get the later if she's already pregnant when you bring her home.

Most rainbows need more space, minimum 4' tank. I had a group of praecox (dwarf neon rainbows) in a 55 with plenty of plants, and they still beat up and killed each other.
The Celebes and Gertrudae rainbow fish would work, but they're nothing like Boesemani.
If you really want larger fish set up a 75 gallon tank, much wider stocking options there.

That's strange, I have praecox in a 40b and they are less aggressive than my harlequin rasbora. You must've gotten 1 or 2 bully fish.

40B are good tanks cause they have a large "foot print". That inch per gallon rule is old. Big fish need a big turning radius period. 55's are crappy tanks for this reason. 40b are good for 2-3 biggish fish (4-8inch) with small companions fish or maybe 1 big fish (10-14inch) with small companion fish. But I would not put a monster fish in a 40b like WolfFish, Red Tails, Gar, Fish like that need way more room 150+Gal

40B are good tanks cause they have a large "foot print". That inch per gallon rule is old. Big fish need a big turning radius period. 55's are crappy tanks for this reason. 40b are good for 2-3 biggish fish (4-8inch) with small companions fish or maybe 1 big fish (10-14inch) with small companion fish. But I would not put a monster fish in a 40b like WolfFish, Red Tails, Gar, Fish like that need way more room 150+Gal

A 40b is too short for big fish being only 3ft long. Fish also need lateral swimming room as well as space to turn around.

A 40b is too short for big fish being only 3ft long. Fish also need lateral swimming room as well as space to turn around.

I will have to agree with you, a big fish 10+ inch really shouldnt be in a 40b. its cruel. But Ive seen it, just went over to my buddies last nite and that Dovii is still livin and nasty tempered. Hes just to aggressive to move

Are there any species of angel that would be better suited for a 40gb or are they all about the same size? I've watched a lot of videos of angels and some seem massive, others seem not too big.

Are there any species of angel that would be better suited for a 40gb or are they all about the same size? I've watched a lot of videos of angels and some seem massive, others seem not too big.

That's just because of their age. They are all pretty much the same.

Stay away from rainbows.

I suggest pearl gouramis. 4 of them. I male 3 females. I adored mine. They have interesting personalities and look great as they mature.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom