40 Breeder stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On a side note, as I was surfing Aquabid for ideas I came across geophagus 'orange head' tapajos which I think is stunning! I think my 40 is too small for even a pair, but I jut had to share anyways :)
Really nice fish. One of the smallest growing Geophagus but still need a 75.

I now leaning towards CA, but I cannot find this particular one you mentioned for sale anywhere :(

What about Thorichthys maculipinnis?
I have never kept maculpinnis. Seems like a 3ft tank would be on the border of workable as full adults. Others here have kept them so maybe someone else will chime in.

Rapps has sajica if you end up going in that direction. JEFF RAPPS IS TANGLED UP IN CICHLIDS

Last edited:
nanoluteus would work. I have kept them.

They are a bit smaller than the sajica and display a nice yellow color. Fairly peaceful towards other species when they are not spawning.

Make sure you remove the rest of the group as soon as a pair forms.

I think I will be going with the nanoluteus. I think their color is great!

Now it is time to empty the tank of its other inhabitants.

**Heads up to those who helped me**

I will be listing peacock gudgeons, and a few other fish in the classifieds. If you are interested let me know here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Before major tank makeover

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413351114.209505.jpg

After major tank makeover

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413351247.220574.jpg

It is still very cloudy, but I think the new tenants will like this much better :)

Also, from what I have researched nanoluteus is great with fast moving livebearers.

What do you all think about this?

I have some black chinned/metallic livebearers that I think would look great with these guys.

More tank pics.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413351480.938443.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413351521.394385.jpg

The new tank looks great! Nanoluteus have always tempted me, but I have never kept them. Keep us updated and get some pics once you get stock!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The new tank looks great! Nanoluteus have always tempted me, but I have never kept them. Keep us updated and get some pics once you get stock!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

The juvies will be coming in Thursday. Soon as they pair out I will be offering the others here on aquarium advice...just to tempt you some more ;)

Also, anyone have ideas or thoughts on adding some of my black chinned live bearers?

I have never kept those livebearers but I suspect they would be fine. They will probably serve as dither fish for the nanoluteus as well.

That's what I was thinking, they will be good dither fish. They are a golden color which I think will nicely offset the nanoluteus.

The juvies came in today!

Pictures to follow. I have to post them online as I have exceeded my picture allowance :(

Hey thats great! Sounds like you got some good stock there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom