40 gallon fowlr tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie321

Aquarium Advice Regular
so i want to start a 40 gallon fowlr tank ive been keeping freshwater tanks for a long time so this is my firsts saltwater tank i need to know everything, setup how to cycle the tank, stocking options, everything i need to start a 40 gallon fowlr tank.

newbie321 said:
so i want to start a 40 gallon fowlr tank ive been keeping freshwater tanks for a long time so this is my firsts saltwater tank i need to know everything, setup how to cycle the tank, stocking options, everything i need to start a 40 gallon fowlr tank.

Depends on whether or not you'd like to do a fish in cycle or fish less (preferred because you don't have to expose any fish to the toxic ammonia ect + you don't have to do tons of water changes as opposed to when you are cycling with fish)
Several people use raw shrimp as an ammonia source or you can pick up liquid ammonia and dose it .
Google different cycling methods and I'm sure you will find one that works for you .
As far as other things needed
- a tank obviously + top (for jumpers )
- substrate
- powerheads (for flow)
- live rock or base rock or both ( most people use mostly base and some live rock to seed it because it's cheaper and much easier to work with )
- lighting (if it's only FOWLR it's only to light the tank)
- a cuc (clean up crew) such as snails and crabs ect (optional)
-mechanical filter + filter media (unless you only want to use the LR for bio filtration )
- heater
-livestock + food
- cleaning accessories (magnet scraper ect

There are lots of optional things you can add to make your tank better of course such as
- protein skimmer ( that skims the organic waste from the water )
- uv sterilizer
- sump
- refugium
- water changer system
- RODI water (most say a must :)

And the list goes on and on
What kind of fish are you interested in ? Peaceful ? Aggressive ? Any specifics ?

newbie321 said:
thanks i want to a fish less cycle i want peaceful fish any ideas?

Here is the link to live aquaria beginner SW fish http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1926

It's helpful because it also give you all the info on the fish , tank size requirements and temperament :)
Take a look and see what you like and then you can start building a stock list . There is the fish compatibility chart also so you can make sure your selected fish are compatible with each other .
IMO clowns are a great and hardy starter fish :) good luck

Back
Top Bottom