40 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I finally upgraded to a 40 gallon tank (all I could fit in the house sadly) but right now it has 3 mollies 2 platys and an angel. Can I add more? I was thinking either some tetras, otos, or some siamese flying foxes? Just some ideas! I had 2 angels but sadly the veil tail angel did not make it but the other is doing great. If I were to get another angel what could I stock with that? So basically what I am saying is...If I get another angel what could I stock and if I don't get another angel what could I stock? Thank you!

Are the platys and mollies mixed sexes if so what are the ratios. I would stick with one angel now and I would add a school of tetra like 10 cardinal tetras or bloodfin tetras. I would also add some bottom feeders like 8 Cory cats I would get any type but emerald green corys as they get big like 4 inches. Then I would add a bristlenose pleco instead of Otto cats if you want a algae eater just because these are much hardier but they do have a large bioload. I wouldn't get flying foxes because they are known to harass angels a lot.

If you want another angel though I would still add the school of corys and the tetra school just don't add a pleco, flying fox or ottos then.

Ok I don't like corys they creep me out lmao and I dont really like plecos either other than the ones that get big :/ but I loveee otos and I have been wanting them for about a year now but I was trying to wait til everything got settled in and I found out as much as I could about them. I was reading about the flying foxes and I was told the ones I wanted were the ones that were friendly and didnt get mean. I might get them and if they get aggressive I will just return them (if I decide to get them of course) So could I get the tetras the otos and the flying foxes?

I wouldn't get flying foxes i would just get 8 ottos and if you really want them the key is lots of algae and pristine water to keep them alive. Also you could do 10 tetras of whatever kind you like as long as they are not like silver dollars or something.

Ok...How do I go about adding 8 ottos? Get 4 and then later add 4 more? And same with the tetras how do I go about getting their numbers up that high?

I would say 4 and 4 for the ottos I would reccomend to quarantine the ottos though in a smallish tank full of algae to make sure they are healthy though and I wound add 5 and 5 for the tetras to.

Ok thank you! Oh and for the platy/mollie ratios I have just two female platys and for the mollies I have 2 females and one male. The platys just had babies but they all got eaten and the mollies are both pregnant but I figure they will all get eaten too so I'm not very worried about having too many babies from any of them. I have a ten gallon tank that has a betta in it because he wasnt looking good for a while so I put him in there with some salt and he looks 100% better so he might be moving back into the 40. I also tried growing some algae in a cup with some rocks in the sun but it hasnt grown any yet. but I do have some algae in my 40 gallon not a whole lot. But I will be getting some algae wafers and trying some veggies as well. I am hoping they all live. From what I have read they usually die within the first few weeks and after about a month they should live. Wish me luck I am going to get some now! Thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom