405 fluval filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Hi guys just wondering how often should I clean my fluval 405 filter and the steps in doing so.... I need some tips.... (Even the basic ones...).... I have 7 fish in a 55 .... I also have my aqueon 55 that came with the tank, which is also running...

For me it depends on what type of bio-load I have in that tank. For our cichlids, I clean the filter once a week when I clean the tank. In our angelfish/tetra tank, every 2 weeks.

As I'm draining the tank I get some water into 2 buckets. I rinse the biological (ceramics) in one bucket and the sponges in the other.

Best tip ever: make sure to close the intake and return tubes BEFORE removing from the filter. Or have a ton of towels handy ;)

Doesn't the filter spits out all the air that gets trapped in the canister? mine does that once a day. I clean mine once a month or whenever I need to replace the peat moss granules.

Ah ok, easy solution to that. I keep gallon jugs (well cleaned after the milk is gone) filled with treated water (dechlor). After cleaning and putting the sponges and trays back in, I fill the filter with the treated water to within about and inch from the top. Put the lid back on, clamp it down, clamps the hoses back on, open them up and start it up. Almost never have a problem with air getting trapped or having to re-prime.

Doesn't the filter spits out all the air that gets trapped in the canister? mine does that once a day. I clean mine once a month or whenever I need to replace the peat moss granules.

I call it "burping". Only one of ours does that, it's an older model, the 404. Things in pretty rough shape. Guess I need to get a new Fluval, the FX5 *drools*

Aquatic products

Here's what I do every other week...

Close valve
remove hose assembly
take canister to bathroom or back deck
fill a bucket about halfway full using the hoses (you have to push the locking lever down to open the valve when its off the can)
rinse off media, save sponges for last, then squeeze and let go, squeeze let go, repeat until clean(ish)
put media back in filter
sit can under tank and fill to about 1/2" below top using hoses
put lid on
open the valve to allow air to escape
close the valve before plugging in
plug in
SLOWLY open valve
done!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom