40gal Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
?I was so worried fresh20 then, I opened he package and it was fine. I put about a dozen dynamite tabs in the Amazonia. Would that be sufficient with the volume of water? Oh and would fissidens or Christmas miss be best to slightly cover the stump? I was also thinking Anubis nana petite around the sides of the stump to hopefully get the roots to flow down the rocky hill

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your interested in some pogo octopus I have a good bunch of it. This stuff is a very nice background plant and looks very nice

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd be very interested in any plants members have! Sorry these past few weeks have been busy because of finals.
Today I got the marine land c-220 today from petco for only 80$:). I have a few questions about it. I don't know if these rings are spares, pictures attached.
Also what lily pipes am I look at for my intake and outtake? Thanks so much

Thank you! Yea I have to get co2 next, any thoughts on the canister filter seals or lily pipes for the marine land?

Internal diameter is 5/8 of an inch, I think it will work. I just wanted to double check, thanks!

Here is my stocking list and equipment, please any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fish-
Two different pairs of apistogrammas-new to these fish
Otos
Panda cories

Shrimp-
*if apistogrammas are less aggressive than I imagine
Tangerine tigers
Crystal red shrimp

Plants- layout will follow
----------------------------
Anubias nana petite
Dwarf baby tear carpet
Staurogyne reopens
RotalA indica
RotalA wallachi
Ludwigia red
Monte carlo* on driftwood?
Blyxa japonica
Ammania bonsai or bacopa caroliniana*?
Hydro Japan*Carpet or baby tears?
Red tiger lotus
Downoi
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii
Ludwigia arcuata
AlternantherA reineckii
RotalA macranda
Limnophilia hipp
Nesea pedicellata golden
Pogostemon erectes vs pogostemon helferi*?
Fissidens Fontanus
Blyxa alterbifolia
Anubias congensis
RotalA rotundifolia
Potamogeton gayi

Equipment left:
-------------------------
Hydor inline heater
Glass lily pipes
GLA fert pack
Dual Finnex planted plus (waiting on pp+2 if out by January 1)
Co2 regulator and tank
Eheim skimmer

Thank you for reading all of this, if you could help me with plant suggestions and number of species I should hold in the tank. Also, I wanted to DSM the carpet, should I do that first then flood the tank for the other species of plants?
Happy holidays!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my stocking list and equipment, please any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fish-
Two different pairs of apistogrammas-new to these fish
Otos
Panda cories

Shrimp-
*if apistogrammas are less aggressive than I imagine
Tangerine tigers
Crystal red shrimp

Plants- layout will follow
----------------------------
Anubias nana petite
Dwarf baby tear carpet
Staurogyne reopens
RotalA indica
RotalA wallachi
Ludwigia red
Monte carlo* on driftwood?
Blyxa japonica
Ammania bonsai or bacopa caroliniana*?
Hydro Japan*Carpet or baby tears?
Red tiger lotus
Downoi
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii
Ludwigia arcuata
AlternantherA reineckii
RotalA macranda
Limnophilia hipp
Nesea pedicellata golden
Pogostemon erectes vs pogostemon helferi*?
Fissidens Fontanus
Blyxa alterbifolia
Anubias congensis
RotalA rotundifolia
Potamogeton gayi

Equipment left:
-------------------------
Hydor inline heater
Glass lily pipes
GLA fert pack
Dual Finnex planted plus (waiting on pp+2 if out by January 1)
Co2 regulator and tank
Eheim skimmer

Thank you for reading all of this, if you could help me with plant suggestions and number of species I should hold in the tank. Also, I wanted to DSM the carpet, should I do that first then flood the tank for the other species of plants?
Happy holidays!

Seems as if your going for med-high light,my advice is if so you're gonna want med-fast growing plants ,I'd cut out the slow-extremely slow growing plants(algae magnets with the proposed lighting)...I prefer to plant everything with the tank flooded...

sit in silence...

I've never done DSM but I believe after you've flooded it then you proceed with regular planting.
To clear up some questions you might have:
Pogo erectus will continuously grow while Pogo helferi (Downoi) usually stays short (1-3")
Ammania bonsai is slower growing and has smaller leaves; Bacopa caroliniana is a bright green, fast growing plant.
Limnophilia aromatica might be more readily available compared to L. hippuroides.
That is a lot of plants. Not sure if you could fit all or even 3/4 of them in there. I prefer groups of plants. You need to factor in growth and spread of each species. And hardscape. It's okay if it looks sparse at first; it will fill in.

Thank you for all the help so far, I've condensed the list down to this, any thoughts?

Anubias nana petite
Rotala wallachi
Dwarf baby tears
Staurogyne reopens
Monte Carlo
Blyxa japonica
Ammania bonsai
Red tiger lotus
Pogostemon helferi
Crypt parva
Alternanthera reineckii * low ph at 6.2
RotalA macrandra
Limnophilia aromatica
Fissidens Fontanus
Pogostemon erectus
Potamogeton gayi
Anubias afzelli

I narrowed down the list with most of these plants being able to sustain themselves in the low ph level with the apistogrammas.

Thank you for all the help so far, I've condensed the list down to this, any thoughts?

Anubias nana petite
Rotala wallachi
Dwarf baby tears
Staurogyne reopens
Monte Carlo
Blyxa japonica
Ammania bonsai
Red tiger lotus
Pogostemon helferi
Crypt parva
Alternanthera reineckii * low ph at 6.2
RotalA macrandra
Limnophilia aromatica
Fissidens Fontanus
Pogostemon erectus
Potamogeton gayi
Anubias afzelli

I narrowed down the list with most of these plants being able to sustain themselves in the low ph level with the apistogrammas.

I have blyxa japonica and anubias nana petite i can sell/trade to you after the holidays if your interested

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would definitely be interested, once I finalize the list and get the rest of the equipment. Probably sometime around January 5th, I will post the list in the classifieds and I was hoping to get everything I could from members.

After DSM*, not a finite date probably after the baby tears has rooted itself (January 15th:/?).

I don't know how many of these plants I can actually find. Are there any foreseeable problems? I'm going to DSM the dwarf baby tears

Also would DSM require the lighting of the planted +"s if there was no water that the light had to penetrate?

I just bought the canister filter, at the moment my money is going to other things rather than the tank. I have no lighting, except a south facing apartment with a lot of sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom