45 Gallon Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aysvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dad and I are going to be setting up a 45 gallon freshwater tank hopefully within the next few weeks. I want to use Aqadvisor.com to help me pick the species of fish to place in there once it's cycled (though some of them will be for the fish cycling). Having an idea of what to stock it with will help me buy decor. If I need extra caves or plants and whatnot.

I would like the three levels to be filled (bottom, middle, and top) and may have a shelf in back of the tank for more ground space. The substrate will be gravel so anything with barbles won't do well...which is a shame because cory cats are adorable. Well, maybe it won't be gravel...we only have enough for a thin layer. I'll see about getting small, fine substrate.

Anyway, what are some tropical fish that would do well in a 45 tank? Shoals, singles, bottom dwellers, algae eaters? I'm open to ideas.

Your possibilities are almost endless. Lots of livebearers, loaches, tetras, hatchetfish, smaller plecos, some catfish..if you have a certain interest or something in mind maybe I can help more.

Your possibilities are almost endless. Lots of livebearers, loaches, tetras, hatchetfish, smaller plecos, some catfish..if you have a certain interest or something in mind maybe I can help more.

Well, I was thinking about one or two main 'showcase' fish, but my personal 10 gallon tank is pretty much that. My betta and 3 ottos are in there.

My living room has no theme, it's actually usually a mess. Thank you dad, little brother, and dog. I'd like for the tank to sorta be messy room, messy room, messy room, LOVELY TANK. Bright colored fish that stand out against the green, yellow, and red plants (probably a tropical background too)

For the 45 I'd like at least one small shoal (preferably tight) of 6 or so tetras or rasboras. I just need to pick the type. I mainly need bottom dwellers, I'm open to shrimp, and something that likes the top (the shoal may take care of that though). Maybe a single larger (4 inch or so) badis or something.

Colorful, peaceful fish that will look well at home in fake plants (maybe a few live if I can swing my dad that way).

Does that help at all?

Some loaches would be nice on the bottom..possibly some yo-yos or other botias? You could do cory cats but like you said it depends on the gravel..if you go fine (not sharp) you should be fine.

Some loaches would be nice on the bottom..possibly some yo-yos or other botias? You could do cory cats but like you said it depends on the gravel..if you go fine (not sharp) you should be fine.

Do you know how large of a group the yoyos may need? I know cories need at least 6 individuals.

Do you know how large of a group the yoyos may need? I know cories need at least 6 individuals.

4+ prolly. Just depends..I have 3 cories and they stick together like glue..so it's a misconception that you need that many. It's really how many you'd like to have. And if they aren't together too much, you could add more to see if that helps.

4+ prolly. Just depends..I have 3 cories and they stick together like glue..so it's a misconception that you need that many. It's really how many you'd like to have. And if they aren't together too much, you could add more to see if that helps.

Ok, I'll probably go with the cories since I don't know anything about loaches. Since we need more gravel anyway I'll make sure it's small and smooth. Do they like hiding places?

They sometimes go in them, but it isn't needed. And yeah..just be careful choosing the substrate with the cories..cuz it is almost a must that they need sand or something similar. They sift it through their mouth/gills and burrow their heads in it and look for food.

They sometimes go in them, but it isn't needed. And yeah..just be careful choosing the substrate with the cories..cuz it is almost a must that they need sand or something similar. They sift it through their mouth/gills and burrow their heads in it and look for food.

Alright. I'll do my best to find something gentle for them.

Back
Top Bottom