5.5 gallon tank,Any ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear my fiancee in the distance saying "Shrimp tank!" (Chuckles). That'd also be great for a Betta. In my oppinion you could probobly also get away with a pair of smaller, less active fish though some would differ. They'd need to be something not needing a school... maybe a pair of male or female guppies? I think they're okay in smaller numbers as long as their single gender.

Or, if you have other tanks up and running, you might consider turning it into a QT tank. I have a ten gallon for one, but sometimes I feel like it's overkill. (Considering my biggest active tank is twenty...heh)

I would do a shrimp tank. You can put a Betta in, but they do much better in ten gallons. I speak from experience. Their personality shines in a ten.

Shrimp tanks can be really cool. I'll be doing one as soon as I have stuff for it.

Betta, Invertebrate, or Dwarf Frogs would all be great in there. :)
Just gotta decide which route to go.

I actually really do urge the shrimp tank as well. They're really actually fun to watch (Especially if you put alot of climbing surfaces in the tank). There's more than just ghost shrimp out there, too (Though Ghosties are kind of good to start with.) With nearly no bio-load to boot.

Weird note on the betta, though. My fiancee had a Betta that they put in their larger DT when she was young, and the thing spent all the time hiding and freaking out (peaceful community from what she remembers.) The thing got moved into a small little tank and lived for years after happy as a clam. Apparently it was agorophobic. (I blame walmart.... but then I always blame walmart.)

My first fish, Leon, was also a walmart betta. Bought the guy expecting him to die (in retrospect that made the twenty bucks I spent on him and a, as it turns out too smal, mini-tank for him a bit reckless) and planning to come back to replace him with the next betta in line in some sort of weird assisted living plan for betta's, so they can die in peace. (Walmart fish... that was my thought).

Four months later, Leon is blowing bubble nests like a champ... Guess I'm doing SOMETHING right... And yes, he's in a bigger home now. I use his old half gallon hovel as my transfer bucket for new fish. (Kinda like the hanger things the lfs all use)

You can get 2-3 betta fish!!!! But require a divider
You can get 2 male guppies
You can get 1 platy
You can get 1 dwarf gourami
You can get 5-8 glofish
You can get 5-8 neon tetras
You can get 3-4 mollies
You can get 4-5 ghost shrimp
You can get 2 Cory catfish
You can get 2 swordtails
You can get a algae eater
You can get a Otocinclus fish

Hope I helped .. Good luck:)

Livebrearchick13 said:
You can get 1 platy
You can get 5-8 glofish
You can get 3-4 mollies
You can get 2 swordtails

Pick one:)

Livebrearchick13 said:
You can get 1 platy
You can get 5-8 glofish
You can get 3-4 mollies
You can get 2 swordtails

The only one I agree with is the ghost s

Livebrearchick13 said:
You can get 1 platy
You can get 5-8 glofish
You can get 3-4 mollies
You can get 2 swordtails

The only one I agree with is the ghost shrimp. None of those fish can fit in there comfortably with the amount you said. Most couldn't even put one.

Some would disagree but I agree with livebearer chick. By the way, I've found dwarf seahorses AWEsome for a 5 gallon tank. You can put 4 adults per gallon. They are saltwater.

For your tank tho, I'd recommend a dwarf cichlid like a Ram, with a couple small tetras. It looks great.

German blue rams are very touchy with their water conditions and need a lot of room.. For a small tank .. A small shell dwelling cichlid would be good and I think they an interesting fish to keep.

Yes, one ram, I repeat, one ram would be fine in a 5g

Mveenstra is right though, you have to maintain your tank well

What shell dwelling cichlids do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom