5 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Max, as far as scape goes, I'd move the large rock back and to the right just a tad, so it's just a little bit closer to the other stones... Just my humble opinion. :)

Also, the juvenile shrimp will be more adaptable to change and resistant to problems if you go ahead and move them now. They travel better than the adults :)

Billbug68 said:
Max, as far as scape goes, I'd move the large rock back and to the right just a tad, so it's just a little bit closer to the other stones... Just my humble opinion. :)

I second that suggestion. That would make the scape more picturesque and natural looking.

Right now the adults are back in the 10 gallon with their babies. I had 3 adults die in the 5 for unknown reasons. My guess was either too much of a change, or too much fertilizer in the water. The auto dosers did dump like a gallon of that into the water. So I guess I should have done a bug water change before adding them. I can't believe I forgot that. Also, the co2 tank on my 40 was empty so I decided to swap this tank instead. So now this tank has no co2. I am hopefully getting the tank filled this weekend though.

Been a while since I have updated this-

After the autodosers dumped all of my ferts into the tank, the CRS started dying (overdose of ferts I think) so I moved them back to the 10. I drained the tank and it sits empty right now. I am planning on getting a new light for it, and possible some new layout material (driftwood or more rocks).

Omg dude, one of these days I'm gonna go through this thread and count how many times you've flooded and then emptied this tank... :lol:

Yeah, it kind of reminds me of how Earth formed, how it was like flowing lava on the surface and stuff, had some life, then catastrophes kept happening, and the cycle kept repeating over and over. :lol: No more autodosers this time. First it wasn't even dosing, then when it finally did start to dose, it dumped all 5 gallons of ferts into the tank :/

I might try to grow some UG in it. I actually have some growing in an emersed tub right now. DSM for at least a few weeks though, to make sure it can get established. But as of right now my main concerns are getting a better light (LEDs maybe!) and some new layout material.

Last edited:
It must be frustrating! It's always something with this tank! I think maybe fort put a hex on it... ;)

Actually it's just my terrible planted tank skills :hide: but, I am starting to figure things out now and I think I may be able to keep it in better shape.

Actually it's just my terrible planted tank skills :hide: but, I am starting to figure things out now and I think I may be able to keep it in better shape.

Well, at least you're honest with yourself... :lol: Seriously though, I'm starting to realize just how high maintenance these high tech planted tanks are... It's like I have a second child that I have to baby all the time... It's a lot of work to get it right! ;)

Any suggestions for a light and new scape materials (rock, driftwood etc)?

What style tank you going for?

I was diggin the Iwagumi. Like I said before about the stones, the large one just needed to be moved over a little closer to the rest of the stones. I think you should just break down, buy a few pots of HC to get a better start, flood the tank right away, and let it grow! :) quit messin with it so much! ;) get your co2 and ferts in order as well.

Also what's your issue with the light? Is it not enough?

Last edited:
What style tank you going for?

I was diggin the Iwagumi. Like I said before about the stones, the large one just needed to be moved over a little closer to the rest of the stones. I think you should just break down, buy a few pots of HC to get a better start, flood the tank right away, and let it grow! :) quit messin with it so much! ;) get your co2 and ferts in order as well.

Also what's your issue with the light? Is it not enough?

I am probably just going to do iwagumi again, but I am still open to other types. No, the light just doesn't stay upright like it's supposed to. It's telescoping arms don't hold it up anymore.

Last edited:
I just scraped the glass and cleaned it all up a bit, and then started to tweak the scape. I considered moving the biggest rock on the left more towards the other rocks, but that would create a symmetrical focal point- which is what I want to avoid. So instead, I moved the big rock towards the back. Any thoughts/suggestions/opinions?

img_2559589_0_a2dbdd11a677974d2890caac47a11373.jpg

I still think it looks a bit bare. Maybe it just needs some plants in there. I have a bunch of HC growing in a dirt tub that I can easily plant when I need it, but I wanted to try to get the best looking scape possible before planting. Oh, and I am still debating whether or not I should try to grow the UG in this tank. As for ferts, I have it all planned out :brows:
I made a bunch of pump bottles with premixed liquid ferts that have calculated doses. So with each dose (in this case, 2 pumps), it will raise each nutrient by the following amounts:

N: 7.5 ppm
P: 1.3 ppm
K: 7.5 ppm
Trace nutrients (lots of different level changes because it has multiple nutrients) :

B..............0.09 ppm
Cu............0.01 ppm
Fe............0.50 ppm
Mg...........0.11 ppm
Mn...........0.14 ppm
Mo...........0.0038 ppm
Zn...........0.03 ppm
dGH.........0.02 ppm

So, with the bottled ferts all I have to do is add 2 pumps of each bottle, 2-3 times per week. Easy peasy :)

So, my plan for now is to get the scape tweaked just right, then keep it "dry" (not flooded, but with moisture for the plants to grow) until I can find a light and save enough money to buy it.

Here is another light I am considering, but I have not been able to find any PAR data or detailed reviews. :blink:

You need one decent size rock. All of the scapes you have made have very small stones, and will look even smaller when the plants grow in. Even if you have one large one it would look better then alot of tiny ones

You need one decent size rock. All of the scapes you have made have very small stones, and will look even smaller when the plants grow in. Even if you have one large one it would look better then alot of tiny ones

Yeah, unfortunately those are the largest stones I have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom