50% Water Changes Safe for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to start a planted tank and will be using EI dosing which requires 50% weekly water changes. I am used to changing about 25% weekly but 50% seems pretty high.

Wouldn't it be kind of rough on the fish?

Thanks!

Nope, the fish actually love it. Make sure to match temperature so as not to stress them. Mine come and play in the water flow.

For a new tank large PWC's are fine if you stay on top of them and if your water is alkaline.

However, it's possible to kill off your fish by doing a large PWC if you have an old tank, haven't done a large PWC in a long time and if the tank has been neglected and has acidic water. You could cause a massive die off in your tank by changing the water, if the water going in is alkaline and the water in the tank is acidic. What can happen is the ammonium in the tank's acidic water will be converted into ammonia when the alkaline water is added to teh tank. Ammomium is unharmful to fish and ammonia is toxic. This HAS happened before and I've heard of it being called "old tank syndrome". You will be perfectly fine changing out water in your planted tank, but just know that large PWC's CAN be deadly under the right circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom