55 g Stocking with CPD tank-mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypmina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just acquired a 55g tank. I haven't set it up yet but I was hoping for some suggestions. I am hoping to make it a planted tank. I already have a Fluval 6g and I have come celestial pearl danios in it with some cherry shrimp.

I want to put them in the 55g when it is finished cycling. I want to get more CPDs 12+ and some more cherry shrimp. Does anyone have any ideas for tank-mates. I was thinking maybe some emerald dwarf rasboras and maybe some gold ring danios.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Some ideas that come to mind are Threadfin Rainbowfish, Ember Tetras, Harlequin Raboras, Dwarf Cory Cats, etc. There are many options. Hopefully some of the nano fish people will chime in on suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like the idea of the pygmy cories. What about the scarlet badis? Would they be ok with the CPD's?

I also had the idea of keeping the CPD's in the tank they are in and putting some larger less shy fish in it. I have an autistic child and she absolutely loves to watch the fish. The CPD's are beautiful fish but are a bit too shy for her to enjoy fully.

Any suggestions for a colourful fish that would be larger?

Many advise against keeping CPDs and dwarf emerald rasboras together as they will hybridize... dwarf emeralds are also incredibly shy and prefer cooler waters.

I'm working on a nano tank too (20g long) and my habrosus cories are SO active and zoomy, and they don't bother the CPDs one bit.

And awesome resource would be to get the book "101 best freshwater nano species" off of Amazon, it's a great book! :)

A planted 55 with smaller species fish sounds cool...not something you see very often. The bigger tanks I get...the bigger fish I tend to get ;)
I'm not well versed in nano fish, other than dwarf cory cats (which are AWESOME) but with that size tank if you start fresh there are lots of options for gregarious fish or even "wet pets" that would be more interactive with your daughter.
Keep us posted!

Threadfin Rainbows
Corydoras habrosus
Ember Tetras
Honey Gourami

Scarlet Badis are fine with other fish...but they need heavily planted tanks and may only eat live food. If the store says they're eating frozen or processed food to make sure you see them eat b4 u buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similarly sized fish, but not emerald rasbora. They're too closely related and might breed. I had some male endlers in with mine for a while. They made for an interesting difference. The ember tetra and CPD school together much of the time in my 40.

I would greatly advise against the badis in such a big tank, as they will only eat if you place the food in front of their nose, and it could take awhile to find them, so feeding would be a huge pain....

Everyone always they'll hybridize, but unless you're planning to breed, I don't see a problem, as I've never had fry survive in a community tank....JMO

Or if you decide to go with larger fish,(no CPDs then, they'd be at risk of dinner!), Check out rainbowfish, swordtails, Angelfish, and Apistogramma cichlids. All are bigger and colorful fish....

You could also add a school of tetras or danios... Lots of options! I suggest you pick one centerpiece species, and work your stocking around it.

Peacock gudgeons are pretty cool fish
Rosy loaches supposedly come from the same waters as CPDs.
Least killifish are pretty tiny
Male endlers or guppies are colorful and once they get settled in they shouldn't be very shy.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom