55 Gallon Community Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NotNowChief

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here are a few pictures of my 55 Gallon Community Aquarium in our home office I thought I would share. I currently have a common Pleco (about 8-10 inches long), 5 Red Eye Tetras, 3 Candy Cane Tetras, 5 Cory Catfish, 2 Dalmatian Mollies, and 2 Butterfly Lyretail Mollies. It has been set up in this configuration for about 2 months now. In its last iteration it housed the same Pleco and a large Jack Dempsey I had for about 9 years who recently passed away. :(

I'd like to add a few more of something to it :confused:, I tried some Neons but apparently the Red Eyes or Candy Canes thought they were a snack :banghead:, so they were promptly removed and placed in my spare 5 gallon I keep for quarantine or isolation purposes :angel:. I have a new 15 gallon column aquarium fishless cycling with a Fluval 206 that will become their permanent home :brows:. I'll post pictures of that one as well once I get it all set up.

I wanted a more "natural" look as I was growing tired of the same "theme" ornaments from stores, so I picked up 2 large resin driftwood sculptures as my centerpieces and some large plants that have the same colors as the stone background I chose. I run 2 Aquaclear 70s with lots of extra biomedia and prefilter sponges, a 300 watt heater, but no air pump. In case anyone was wondering about the furniture, I tried to be creative and really wanted to accent the tank (and make the room look good too without spending a bundle!). As much as it killed me, I ended up in Ikea :ermm: and bought 2 of the Hemnes cabinets with glass doors and a bridging shelf to connect the pieces, and installed the doors so the knobs face each other. Basically, its a home entertainment wall unit without the tv bench as I "substituted" a fish tank. (Please pay no attention to my large Christmas Lights on top of the bridging shelf I just left up because I was too lazy to remove them and put them away in the basement. At this point they are a running joke in my family.) We also ended up getting the matching desk and hutch along with a small side table for the printer. The room actually came together really nice. So, that's my story and my setup, and look forward to participating is discussions here!

mucpww.jpg

2qjzjfn.jpg

Plant ideas.

Care to give a little more guidance than that?

Looking at your tank it's waay too... symmetrical. Nature isn't going to randomly pop up like that so I think your tank could do with a big rescape. Move the 2 large driftwood esque pieces to take over one side of the tank while rearranging the plants to be in groups occupying the rest. You could also benefit from a larger variety of plastic plants.

If you want live plants than anything on this list would work in your tank.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

Agree with emily! Looks real nice... The aquascaping of your tank should be as you like it. Not necessarily based off of some established rules (mostly of thumb)...

Although aquascaping "rules" or guidelines like the ones mentioned by Mebbid will make your tank look really cool and natural, if you feel like your tank is good enough that you can look at it on a daily basis without disliking any part of it then its probably good enough. Its your tank, so you are the one that has to enjoy looking at it.

Now if you want a really great looking tank then you could try a few things out. I personally im just getting into aquascaping and its a blast. One of my favorite parts of the hobby so far. Im very proud of my first tank, although i know its not perfect. But by my standards its very nice. And thats what counts.

I like your tank cause it has a lot of open space and the driftwood looks awesome! I also like what you did with the furniture. Good job!

It is symmetrical but I think it looks very nice.

Agree with emily! Looks real nice... The aquascaping of your tank should be as you like it. Not necessarily based off of some established rules (mostly of thumb)...

Although aquascaping "rules" or guidelines like the ones mentioned by Mebbid will make your tank look really cool and natural, if you feel like your tank is good enough that you can look at it on a daily basis without disliking any part of it then its probably good enough. Its your tank, so you are the one that has to enjoy looking at it.

Now if you want a really great looking tank then you could try a few things out. I personally im just getting into aquascaping and its a blast. One of my favorite parts of the hobby so far. Im very proud of my first tank, although i know its not perfect. But by my standards its very nice. And thats what counts.

I like your tank cause it has a lot of open space and the driftwood looks awesome! I also like what you did with the furniture. Good job!

Sorry, I misread your post thinking you were asking for advice on how to make your tank more natural looking :) I wasn't saying I didnt like your tank, was just trying to offer some pointers I've picked up along the way.

By the way, where did you get those driftwood pieces? They're awesome and I'd like to get some for myself.

I like the cabinets and "catwalk". Lots of storage. The glass doors are a nice touch; should help keep the dust out. I hate dusting. The tank pretty much serves the same purpose at the TV; it is the focus of entertainment. I imagine pulling up a chair and enjoying the view. You just can't change the channel :)

Thank you for the comments and feedback everyone. Believe it or not, the driftwood pieces and the plants are from my local PetSmart. Yes, really. They are a set, and have quite a convincing paint job. Only when you look really close can you see that they are resin and not real wood. The only reason I did not go with real wood is because I am terribly afraid of the tannins in real driftwood turning my water a light brown!

Here they are online, size Large is the one on the left, and size Extra Large is the one on the right:
Top Fin Driftwood Aquarium Ornament | Ornaments | PetSmart

The artificial plants I just mixed and matched from a few different packages at a few different LFS, trying to stick with reds and greens.

Back
Top Bottom