55 gallon - Convict stocking Q?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, there's not a whole lot that'll withstand the abuse from breeding cons, not to mention the problem of overcrowding that creeps up with 'em. Maybe a school of tiger barbs, or other medium-size, sturdy shoaling fish-- or maybe a bristlenose plec.

Any breeding cichlid will be territorial with others in the tank. A breeding pair of convicts can easily take over a 55 gallon. I have had breeding brichardi dominate a 50 gallon. It's stressful to the breeding parents to have to constantly defend their territory and it's stressful to the other fish that live in the tank. Having said that, you may be able to add a pleco or another catfish (Synodontis sp). that can hold its own against the convicts, but there's no guarantees.

How many tiger barbs do you suggest? I was at an incredible LFS in Wichita yesterday. They had beautiful tank of regular and albino tiger barbs. The albino tiger barbs were absolutely incredible.

I really want to keep a breeding pair of convicts, they are fun to watch.

I'd look at maybe 5-7 barbs, assuming you'll be removing convict fry periodically to keep the bio-load managable.

Will the barbs help with the bio load or will they ignore the fry? They probably won't be able to get close to the young fry will they... I will definitely be removing fry.

My pair in a 55 completely annihilated all occupants of my tank within a week of spawning.

I think I may let the breed a few more times then call it good. I will keep one of them and then get some other types of CA's. Thanks!

the only thing ive ever been able to keep with breeding convicts was another pair of (less aggressive) Jack dempsies

Back
Top Bottom