55 Gallon Fist-Timer Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I'm going to start to clean it out today I decided to start a thread based on my other thread when I was deciding sw or fw, and obviously I chose sw. Just to warn anyone who is reading this the tank build will take a long time to do so be prepared:). Just for a before look at the tank...

Attachments

• image-4237922972.jpg
    image-4237922972.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 172
  • image-2862515727.jpg
    image-2862515727.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 178
  • image-1576497947.jpg
    image-1576497947.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 190
Going to build one, so I'll hopefully get supplies within the next few days. Unless of course an oak mantle would work;) jk

Actually scratch that, I'm going to see if my mother will allow me to buy a stand with a few other things that were listed on craigslist... It's only $25 so hopefully I can convince her... :brows:

Sounds like a great deal! I'd jump on it if not only for the stand. That way at least you can get the tank up. :)

Yeah well I'm off to try to convince my mother... She won't be happy... Oh well:)

So I tried and she gave me a longish lecture about how I keep spending money on these 'darn aquariums' and asked how in the world I got into the hobby. I just said that I only owe her $5 and that it's better than dealing drugs for a hobby. I gave my reasoning about the money and she said "go talk to your father". Which he will be home in 10-15mins... I will know my fate then!

Yes they said yes!!! I just can't ask for anything from then dealing with aquariums for the next two months! I can use my own money but nit theirs that I didn't earn. But I'm getting them, if the dimensions of the stand are correct!

:popcorn: "I just said that I only owe her $5 and that it's better than dealing drugs for a hobby." My mom would have knocked flat on my back :lol: and im 50yrs old. Good luck with the build

Woot! Excellent! Now you have the basics down. tank and stand for less than $100. Great deal.

Yup and I got some more filters and gravel! Never can have too many of those:). That'll save me from when I'm going to set up my 12 gallon for my room!

20 bucks says you end up doing extra stuff for more money, so you can set your tank up quicker...without a doubt. This tank will be cycling before we know it hahaha

negligent_inmate said:
20 bucks says you end up doing extra stuff for more money, so you can set your tank up quicker...without a doubt. This tank will be cycling before we know it hahaha

Yeah probably, I would love to have it up and running ASAP but I don't know if I could do everything that is required that quickly... But I did find some sand for 4.15 for 50 lbs of sand today at home depot!

Once you get the stand you could always start your cycle so that way whenever you get around to buying fish, ytour water will be stable

Yeah but before I start to cycle I'll need some live rock and base rock which cost a decent amount...

You can start with just base rock if you're gonn ahve time. Just dose the ammonia. :)

The base rock will become live within a few weeks. It won't look like "normal" live rock for a few months but it can be done

Back
Top Bottom