55 Gallon Mania.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilcote0328

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I just got my first bigger sized tank a couple of months ago and my patience of setting it up got to me and I went ou tto the store bought some deco and fish and threw it all together.

It was pretty cool but my fish died. Thats when I started researching and found out fish hobby is alot more then buying some fish and tossing them in a tank. So I have spent the better part of the last 6 weeks planning and building my 55 gallon wihtout rushing to get fish in it. I have a few questions though if some of you experienced guys can help with.

I have pictures on my cell phone i will add them after i finish typing this all in.

I am building a styrofoam backround been working on it for a few weeks and will be putting it actually into the tank today or tomorrow. I watched just about every video and article on building your own backround and finally once i was comfortable I went ahead and started building. I ran into alot of trouble with the build. Alot of things I didnt factor in even though i had plans drawn up. I am in the army as a engineer and even went to the point of using some of our software to design a virtual build which helped let me make changes thta would have been to late in the construction phase.

Once i got my bugs worked out I started locking myself away in the garage with the assist of the kids we created a decent backround. It however didnt turn out exactly as i had planned but it is pretty close.

I have a few pics of it as it was being built but dont have any finished ones I will get those as soon as I get time to take some more.

My questions however are about Stocking it.

I plan on having at least 2 Dempseys
Also would like some Catfish
not sure what else I should put in there?

Also not sure about plants. I orignally wanted to put some long artificle plants on the left side of the tank above the (catfish Den).

Wondering if i can put live plants up on that shelf and if so can I still stick with my plan of sand around the old ruins and center and build a area on the left which will keep the soil in place to sustain plant life?

And lighting. I have 2 of your standard came in the box lights. I dont like the unatural glow they have. I added a nice moonlight led to my hood which shines through my water filter and gives the tank a bad *** light moonlight type look rippling in the water for in the evenings but what can i use for my normall lighting to help make the fish stand out. I was thinking maybe black lights but not sure i really have no idea which lighting I should use to help make a naturall look inside the tank.
The backround is multi colored earth tones with some higlights of green moss and algea which I dont have a pic of yet the building is dark brown just like the picture but the Pillard are a lighter sand Brown (not in the pics)

The center back piece is a multi brown/green/sand coloring.
Sand color or rock color im not sure of yet. Might go with black sand or a brown gravel bigger then the standard LPS gravel.

Sorry I wrote a book hopefully someone reads it all.

I have other questions about a frew things I will wait to ask those another day.

Thanks

Here's the few pics I had of the background

Attachments

• image-1667964845.jpg
    image-1667964845.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3563680087.jpg
    image-3563680087.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1225702889.jpg
    image-1225702889.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image-468122775.jpg
    image-468122775.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 71
  • image-261208991.jpg
    image-261208991.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image-912479526.jpg
    image-912479526.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3671438677.jpg
    image-3671438677.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image-329262445.jpg
    image-329262445.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 79
Im not sure what the real name of them are but at the pet store they are labelled as Jack Dempsey's maybe thats a newbie name for them

Sounds great and all but I think you posted in the saltwater aquarium forum. Sorry.

Not sure. Maybe copy and paste. I'd hate for you to have to rewrite that novel :)

Back
Top Bottom