55 gallon on the horizon, stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua_chem

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello Aquarium Advice!

I've come to you today to get some stocking advice. I recently had the opportunity to pick up a 55g+stand+stuff for $75 on CL, and I want your input on some stocking thoughts I've been having.

My idea is as follows:

8-10x Harlequin Rasboras
8-10x Rummy-nose tetras
8-10x Corydoras (Leaning towards pandas)
1 BN Pleco.

I'm thinking that just that will be well on the way to stocked, but I want some input on some other fish to add.

#1 My GF wants to get Dojo loaches. I've got no idea why, but she seems pretty hardline on them. Anyone have much experience with these guys in community tanks?

#2 I'm entertaining the idea of getting a school of tiger barbs. Obviously, the aggression in an issue but I would keep them in a school of 10 or so, so hopefully that would be somewhat reduced. I've found several accounts of people keeping TBs + either rummies or harlies in a 29 gallon with some success, but never in larger tanks or together. Anyone have any insight on this?

#3 Would it be reasonable to have a centerpiece fish in the tank at these stocking levels?

Thank guys.

if you have the schoolers at 8 each(no tiger barbs,that would be overstocked),and had a good filter,you could get a rainbow shark as a centerpeice. no dojos,they are coldwater

if you have the schoolers at 8 each(no tiger barbs,that would be overstocked),and had a good filter,you could get a rainbow shark as a centerpeice. no dojos,they are coldwater

Ah, see, I just read that about dojos after posting that >.<

As far as the TBs go, they would probably replace one of the schooling fish.

Ah, see, I just read that about dojos after posting that >.<

As far as the TBs go, they would probably replace one of the schooling fish.
the tiger barbs get bigger and have a bigger bioload than the other schoolers,maybe if you had 2 schools,one of 10 and 8 tiger barbs youd be okay

Back
Top Bottom