55 gallon Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoldyTofu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey! So I will be getting a 55 gallon tank from a friend in this coming month and I would like some ideas of what fish to put in it. I have no preferences right now (except it be freshwater, of course) I just want to know what you would put. :)
I have a little bit of experience but only with fancy goldfish but I do have a 10 gallon brackish as well. I would like to try something new.
Obviously I won't be buying the fish for awhile while the tank is setting up but it's always good to have a plan/idea ready :)

How bout a nice planted community tank? Have u ever done a planted before?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How bout a nice planted community tank? Have u ever done a planted before?

I've never done a planted tank but I do love the look. I'd have to look into CO2 though... What fish though? I've also never done a community...

Are there any fish you're particularly interested in? Traditionally a community would be some sort of schooling fish, bottom feeder(s), and a centerpiece fish.

Are there any fish you're particularly interested in? Traditionally a community would be some sort of schooling fish, bottom feeder(s), and a centerpiece fish.
I was thinking angelfish or maybe dwarf gourami.

I was thinking angelfish or maybe dwarf gourami.

For a 55 u don't have to go with a dwarf gourami. A regular sized one is perfectly fine. Any other fish u were thinking

I've never done a planted tank but I do love the look. I'd have to look into CO2 though... What fish though? I've also never done a community...

You don't have to do CO2 unless it's a medium to high light tank.

Low light you can grow Crypts, Swords, Java Ferns, Anubias, Mosses etc..

I would pick an Angel or a Gourami. They might fight. A Pearl Gourami is the most peaceful of the larger Gouramis.

I would do a big group of Cory Cats.
Peppered Cories are very hardy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on a gourami or angelfish. You could build a very nice community around either!

Yup agree with the above. In some cases u don't need Co2 with medium light plants either. But some hardy easy and beautiful plants are- Anubias, crypts (best to add last), Java fern, Amazon swords, jungle Val, sagatiria (not sure on spelling).

For a planted tank I would recommend either flourite or Eco complete as a substrate as they both hold nutrients to help with root growth.

Corydoras are great, but in a tank that size you could do a group of beautiful angelicus or zebra loaches. They're incredibly interesting fish! Good for most community tanks.

Corydoras are great, but in a tank that size you could do a group of beautiful angelicus or zebra loaches. They're incredibly interesting fish! Good for most community tanks.

In a 55g I'd do both loaches and cories (y)

Dojo loaches!! Most personable and active fish I've ever seen lol. They are crazy.

Caleb

Ok wow! Thank you for the suggestions![emoji4] and how many of each would I need? Like 2 centerpiece fish, ?? Schooling, and ?? Bottom feeders....

*whispers* dojo loachesssss

Super active centerpiece and bottom feeder combo as they eat literally about anything. Oh and like groups so there's schooling covered as well.

Caleb

*whispers* dojo loachesssss

Super active centerpiece and bottom feeder combo as they eat literally about anything. Oh and like groups so there's schooling covered as well.

Caleb

Bad for tropical tanks though! They really do need somewhat cooler water. A school of botiid loaches (like zebra or angelicus) can also be a centerpiece, bottom dweller and school all at once ;)

Yup agree with the above. In some cases u don't need Co2 with medium light plants either. But some hardy easy and beautiful plants are- Anubias, crypts (best to add last), Java fern, Amazon swords, jungle Val, sagatiria (not sure on spelling).

For a planted tank I would recommend either flourite or Eco complete as a substrate as they both hold nutrients to help with root growth.

Ok thanks for the info on substrate! That was going to be my next question.

Ok thanks for the info on substrate! That was going to be my next question.

No problem u could do dirt and cap it with a gravel but that could lead to problems if u disturb the dirt, or put to much.

Hi. If it's your first time planting then I would go with Eco Complete or a comparative product. It's probably the easiest way to kick start plant growth. Supplements will be needed after a while but you would need them with gravel or sand from the start. Aesthetically I like the Eco, it looks more natural than other substrates.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Back
Top Bottom