55 Gallon Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettalover333

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, basically i didn't research enough and i ended up with three types of schooling fish in my 20 gallon, but not enough room for schools. The tank currently holds:
-1 dwarf gourami
-2 silver hatchetfish
-2 Skirt Tetras
-2 peppered corys
-1 mystery snail

So now I'm planning on upgrading to a 55 gallon, and need some advise in stocking. I plan on bringing my hatchetfish, tetras, and cory schools up to six. Is this a good school size for these fish? Ive heard that hatchetfish do better with even larger schools, should i maybe go up to 8 with them? I would also like to add a nice centerpiece fish, preferably an angelfish. Would the angel fish and the gourami get along? I've been getting a lot of mixed results around this topic. Some people say they do, some say they don't. Anyone had first hand experience with angels and dwarf gouramis? Would i also maybe have room for another school of peaceful fish like Harlequin Rasboras? I really like them and would love to incorporate them into my new tank. I also plan on adding a smaller species of pleco, either bristle nose or rubber lip. Which species do you recommend? Would they bother my mystery snail? I do have a beta tank i can move him into if there is a possibility of him getting hurt. Sorry its so long, i just want to get it right this time. So, basically, all of this sums up into this:
-1 or 2 Angel fish
-1 dwarf gourami
-1 bristlenose/rubberlip pleco
-6 hatchetfish (maybe 8)
-6 Skirt tetras
-6 corys
-6 harlequin rasboras
-1 mystery snail

Good plan or not? Again, sorry about the length and i hope i didn't confuse anyone. Also any tips are appreciated :) Thanks for reading!

Oh and btw it will be a planted tank with most likely java fern, anacharis, amazon swords, vallisnera, and a few moss balls.

Sounds good. I would get rubberlips, because they are not as territorial i believe. But i'm not sure. Good luck!

It sounds like a good plan. I would go with 2 angels and it shouldn't matter which type of pleco you go with as you only want 1.

Back
Top Bottom