55 gallon tank- beginner needs help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrslexy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! So I have been frying my brain here guys and I seriously need help! I want to get a cycle started on my tank... Problem is I can't decide on a filter system :O
So we inherited our tank from my neighbor. They were awesome they gave us the tank, salt, filter (marineland emperor 400), huge base rock, great lighting, sand ( but we will be getting live sand). Problem is I don't think I want to run it on the emperor 400 and was leaning towards a canister filter ( fluval 406) and was pretty much set on that until we went to about 6 local fish stores for advice. Most of them said we "NEED" a sump system except one. He was really supportive of the canister system and told us everyone is going to say that the canister is a nitrate factory but we should use chem pure elite instead of carbon being that we want predator fish and no coral. I need some great advice because I left that store confident that it was what I wanted, but was discouraged by others telling is it won't work out.>:| please hellllllllllp!

Ps* live rock and sand are on the list of things to buy :)

Get a nice hob skimmer as well if you want predatory fish. A 55 is on the small size for predators. What did you have in mind? A canister is fine as long as you clean it regularly but the rock, sand and skimmer would be your main filtration. Te canister would just be for media

I want a puffer for sure, porcupine to be exact but we have a great local fish store that will be getting some small ones in so when it's time to upgrade we will be moving to a bigger tank. A Valentini puffer would be our next option. We want a dwarf lion and possibly a grouper? Not sure on other tank mates yet. All of this is still up in the air, I just want to get my tank going.
The other route we may go is clown and butterfly or tangs not sure yet. Whatever we decide I am starting small. ;) oh and invertebrates!

I want a puffer for sure, porcupine to be exact but we have a great local fish store that will be getting some small ones in so when it's time to upgrade we will be moving to a bigger tank. A Valentini puffer would be our next option. We want a dwarf lion and possibly a grouper? Not sure on other tank mates yet. All of this is still up in the air, I just want to get my tank going.
The other route we may go is clown and butterfly or tangs not sure yet. Whatever we decide I am starting small. ;) oh and invertebrates!

As long as you have upgrades in the future the puffer is ok at a tiny size. Valentines fit perfectly, same with a dwarf lion. I would skip butterflies. Just difficult feeders and tough to keep healthy. Tang wise you could do a kole or tomini possibly but that is a lot of large fish for a 55. I'd pick 3-4 and leave it at that. I wouldn't do a grouper, they get big fast. However a marine betta may work.

Ohhh that's an idea! Our neighbor has a 2 puffers (porcupine and blue spotted), blue hippo, and 2 clown fish. What do you think of that combination?

I mean as long as you get the porc and hippo tiny it doesn't sound unreasonable. Just realize both them will need at least a 180 in a year and a half or so. I'm not a big upgrading fan as life can get in the way of our plans but I do understand.

I just saw the "...possibly a grouper..." Cross that off your list . They get big and they get big fast.

I have a Valantini and he is an awesome fish. He just slowly cruises the tank all day searching for food. I have lots of coral and he will occasionally eye then but rarely nips. I will say its a good idea to keep these guys good and fat tho. He eats raw shrimp right out of my hand. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392338200.414616.jpg

Back
Top Bottom