55 gallon w/angelfish and corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordpet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

I have a 55 gallon, cycled, want to stock with angelfish and corys. How many angelfish would be good? I believe 6 corys is what people suggest as a minimum.

Also I'd like to use live plants. What kind of plants are suitable and what would lighting requirements be? CO2 and nutrients?

thanks

For angels 10 gallons per fish is the suggested stocking rate, minimum of a 20 gallon tank. That being the case, 5, maybe 6 would work. Angels are cichlids, with that quantity of angels expect a pair to form, along with the typical cichlid behavior. This means keep a divider handy, and perhaps a spare tank. I'd try to get the angels from a smaller privately owned shop rather than a chain, as you may be returning some, it often takes a bit of switching around to get a compatible group, or a pair that is more mellow rather than aggressive. If you find a local angel breeder they are often more than happy to work with you on something like this, a bit of research into local clubs nearby should come up with a few if not several.

For the corys you could easily go with a dozen, since angels like warmer temperatures look for a cory species in that temperature range. Sterbais are a pretty traditional angel & discus tankmate.

I prefer to always play it safe and go with hardy plants. Most species of cryptocoryne would look nice. Saggiteria and vallisnaria are good background plants.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom