55g fell into my lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks they are eating already. The 3 new ones are young and smaller than my 1st C sterbai

94a27b8bbc5d27e2720ca6e474a137e1.jpg
4da4bc1fa101344846c1db0ed1ea0a6f.jpg
e71552fc56d95be81c90ae95f5dbc29a.jpg
83b056bd08690723ef441aaeca876c3e.jpg
bc2945aab4c0654236e9c94afa171a6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretty much irrelevant comment but I just wanted to say that when I saw this thread it did not at first occur to me that 'fallen into my lap' was an idiom. (English is my first language and everything) So I was super concerned for your poor legs.

Just thought this might give someone a laugh this evening.

Tank looks great! I just setup a similar one with cories, angels and a bolivian ram. All seem to be getting along so far.

Following...

I'm trying to look for the perfect Pearl Gourami instead of an Angel. But there are some awesome Angels out there. I want to add a GBR later. My tank is warm for my C sterbai

I'm trying to look for the perfect Pearl Gourami instead of an Angel. But there are some awesome Angels out there. I want to add a GBR later. My tank is warm for my C sterbai

I almost went that route too, with the pearl but the angels they had were small enough and the thought was they grow along with everything. I'm hoping with 5 the aggression will get spread out. Also have 14 neons, large mollie and 10 corys so there is plenty to keep their attention divided. I keep mine at 80.5F.

Would love a GBR but will probably just pair up the bolivian. Really digging that farlowella though!

I added 8 Neons tonight. They were on Sale and the Glowlights price had gone up. I'll add 3-4 more Glowlights later.

The new Cory sterbai were super playful tonight. All over the tank.

Video or it didn't happen! :D Cories are so adorable. I'm considering pingpong balls covered in gel food to see what they do!

Here is a minor update to my 55g
I added some Anubias nana to the center and some big Crypt hudoroi to the right corner.
There are some Crypt flamingo that I hope do well. I threw in a bunch of DIY Root Caps plus did a 50% pwc and added liquid ferts.

b47209aef68ba3465fafd81515e8226e.jpg

2f9ed58538543d5396780b0fb55c785a.jpg

6706070dc6f221ca8c5c0f797880571b.jpg

Water still has a lot of tannins which I don't mind.

I reprogrammed the lights. I'll run high light for 2 hours and only one set of bulbs for 6 hours after.

No algae at all.
Very little stock. Will be adding some in gradually.

Lost some fish from roommate mistake while I was out of town.

Current stock
2 Cory sterbai will be adding more
1 Oto will be adding more
1 Farlowella vittata ( doing well )
2 Neons
1 Horned Nerite
Ramshorns and Pond Snails

I need to add a background !!! Black probably

Looks nice!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Here is a minor update to my 55g
I added some Anubias nana to the center and some big Crypt hudoroi to the right corner.
There are some Crypt flamingo that I hope do well. I threw in a bunch of DIY Root Caps plus did a 50% pwc and added liquid ferts.

b47209aef68ba3465fafd81515e8226e.jpg

2f9ed58538543d5396780b0fb55c785a.jpg

6706070dc6f221ca8c5c0f797880571b.jpg

Water still has a lot of tannins which I don't mind.

I reprogrammed the lights. I'll run high light for 2 hours and only one set of bulbs for 6 hours after.

No algae at all.
Very little stock. Will be adding some in gradually.

Lost some fish from roommate mistake while I was out of town.

Current stock
2 Cory sterbai will be adding more
1 Oto will be adding more
1 Farlowella vittata ( doing well )
2 Neons
1 Horned Nerite
Ramshorns and Pond Snails

I need to add a background !!! Black probably

Looks really good!
Sorry about your losses :(
I'm looking at getting some otos, any tips?

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

With Otos get at least 3 or more. Make sure the tank has live plants and wood. If you wipe down walls leave back wall alone.

At the store look for full stomachs. Look at underside. These are Wild Caught and once they starve they lose their gut flora.

Drip acclimate.

If you don't have a heavily planted tank consider adding a background so they don't feel so exposed at first.

Mine eat Omega One algae wafers, OO color flakes, frozen worms and brine shrimp. Plus zucchini and romaine.

17edddb0d7677132fe2d6c199350f126.jpg

I.like the uneven sand! Is that the product of bottom feeders? My 75 is constantly shifting, way cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With Otos get at least 3 or more. Make sure the tank has live plants and wood. If you wipe down walls leave back wall alone.

At the store look for full stomachs. Look at underside. These are Wild Caught and once they starve they lose their gut flora.

Drip acclimate.

If you don't have a heavily planted tank consider adding a background so they don't feel so exposed at first.

Mine eat Omega One algae wafers, OO color flakes, frozen worms and brine shrimp. Plus zucchini and romaine.

17edddb0d7677132fe2d6c199350f126.jpg

Thanks Tina, great info for me.
If I get them they'll be going in my 30g shrimp tank ( been running for a year now) I don't want them for algae control don't have any! Just really like these guy's and wanted to wait till my tank was mature. And they're shrimp safe ?
Lesley

I.like the uneven sand! Is that the product of bottom feeders? My 75 is constantly shifting, way cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I scaped it with some unevenness. But some is from filter outflow moving the sand around.

And a little is from Corydoras and snails.

Thanks Tina, great info for me.
If I get them they'll be going in my 30g shrimp tank ( been running for a year now) I don't want them for algae control don't have any! Just really like these guy's and wanted to wait till my tank was mature. And they're shrimp safe [emoji4]
Lesley

I rarely saw visible algae in my 10g Shrimp tank, but the walls felt slick to the touch so there was biofilm. My successful Otos learned to try every food I put in the tanks.

Gravid female. Unfortunately I had 2 species of males, none were her species.
be0aa6abbee1f2d5c25822219550fd83.jpg

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=49

She's a big girl! Great pic!
The only problem I have getting them is I'd have to buy online, so I wouldn't get to check them till they arrived.
If I do get them I'm thinking 4.
Lesley

Back
Top Bottom