55g fell into my lap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like a rotala to me. Macrandra. Increasing light intensity makes it turn pink. The leaves are supposed to be flat and straight which indicates a deficiency or induced deficiency in this specimen. I had the same problem with this plant. They are very sensitive to fert ratios.

Great. I get free plants at my club meetings. Never remember what I bring home [emoji12]

I travel a lot, but I'm hoping with injected CO2 and a steadier regimen of Thrive that it will be happier. I knew the leaves weren't supposed to be curled.

May need to look into an auto doser.

Sorry yes I meant curled. Every example I've seen they do have wavy leaves but yes the curling is not normal. Many people have issues with it. Hopefully it will improve for you [emoji846]

Sorry yes I meant curled. Every example I've seen they do have wavy leaves but yes the curling is not normal. Many people have issues with it. Hopefully it will improve for you [emoji846]

As cal said u must be lacking something. I found that the curling is generally MG and CA ratio related. Either too much CA or not enough will cause plants to curl. The more CA you add the more MG u need to have to keep the balance.

I found recently in my tank that trying to find this ratio was extremely difficult so I added marble chips to my filter (breaks down and adds CA as the water turns acidic) and no longer dose CA.

Still in early stages with the marble chips but after a week things look pretty promising. Rotala is very sensitive, I've had so many issues with all types of rotala over the last few months. Only now am I starting to see decent growth from the rotala bonsai I have.

Well it would help if I was home on a regular basis. I was working 2-3 jobs and doing housesitting, so this year I was away more than usual.

I'm just happy the darn thing is alive for now and so colorful at the top.

My club wants me to host an open house again. They'd prob replant my tank for me.

We want to do a group Rex-Griggs reactor build and maybe a CO2 workshop. I'll see if Tom Barr is willing to give a talk. He's a member.

I need to add some Ca as my snails shells are eroding. There is a lot of wood in this tank. I'll look into Marble Chips. Was going to add a chunk of Cuttlebone.

I'm trying to avoid playing with dry ferts. No patience or time. But am dosing liquid and will be adding the magic CO2 today or tomorrow. Need to buy a wrench.

IMG_4070.jpg
Image1496022211.331236.jpg

CO2 is on and running. No fish at the top. For now still running my AC HOB while I'm learning this rig.
I put the Bazooka Diffuser next to my Fluval 403 intake. I may move it to the middle /back of the tank later if needed.

I'm going to set up my drop checker as well.

My CO2Art system is working flawlessly from what I can see. The regulator came on with an audible click and has a red LED indicator light.

Bazooka is diffusing tiny bubbles.

Awesome, I have been wanting to do the same thing, maybe I'll get motivated by seeing you do it.

50% WC yesterday.
Added Thrive

Water looks very clear.
IMG_4099.jpgIMG_4092.jpgIMG_4102.jpg

And my Whippet Angelina got to try out her new gear. She has CWA Racing this weekend. Her first time to compete for points !
IMG_4107.jpg

So update on my stock.
I had added 10 Rummynose. I did lose the skinniest one overnight.
The remaining 9 were doing great. Suddenly I say some fungus (?) on one, then on a second.

I was freaked out, but I had to leave to housesit. So I did a 50% PWC to give them clean water and I left for a week. I came back once to add Thrive.

At the end of the week, the fungus has almost disappeared. I haven't lost a single fish and Rummies are thriving.

I didn't want to medicate my main tank. I didn't want to put them in QT while I was gone. I just gave them clean water and hoped for the best.

I rarely ever medicate. I offer great water and food and give them support.

Current stock
21 Neons
9 Rummynose
5 Otos
4 Cory sterbai
4 Denison's Barbs
1 Farlowella
1 Pearl Gourami
3 Nerites, random Ramshorns

IMG_4329.jpgIMG_4330.jpgIMG_4333.jpgIMG_4326.jpg

And as I'm packing to housesit, I notice my 200 watt Aqueon glass heater has RUST inside and what looks like condensation !!!

I unplugged it and will remove it. It's warm enough here, I think they'll be fine for a couple of days till I can ask Petsmart to swap it.

It's was 104°F today at my house. It's is 91°F at 9:12pm. I think my fish are doing swell without a heater this week. I am finally back home for a few days, so I can get the heater swapped out.

Swarm of Neons with a few Rummynose tonight.
IMG_4373.jpg

My Dwarf Sag is sending out runners. Had them in the tank 3 days ? Yay CO2.
IMG_4369.jpg

Current FTS
IMG_4743.jpg

My Gourami is happy
IMG_0019.jpg

I just ordered 5 more Cory Sterbai so my shoal will be 9 total. This was on eBay, but I'm hopeful as the seller is in CA so they aren't being sent a huge distance.

Still dialing this tank in. Still dealing with some Algae.

But plants are growing. Rummynose are really growing and all fish are eating well.

I travel a lot, so my tank does pretty good in spite of me. I did a 60% PWC today. Added in my Thrive and buried some Root Caps for the Sword and the Crypts.

Back
Top Bottom