55g 'gradual' build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Trooper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a 64l tank for a few months but been hit with a bad case of MTS, so i've just had to get another tank to appease it.

I found this 215l (55g) tank for sale local and picked it up, this thread will be a diary i guess of my progress as i prepare and (fishless) cycle the tank, i've opted for fishless as i don't want to put myself or any of my current fish through the stress of cycling.

So.....

The day i picked the tank up i washed it out and moved it to the spare room so that it wouldn't crack during the night with the frost, i however put the cabinet in my room where the tank is going to go, it fits perfectly, which is great. My only concern is that it is going to be upstairs, but i guess it should be ok?

I'm a little skeptical about the capabilities of the filter, but i am hoping it will be fine, but if not i'll get a canister one, would rather not but needs be :lol:

I had to do a fix on the centre brace, it was snapped and bodged previously but flexing immensley under the weight of the lights, so i've fixed it with a strip of metal, much better.

Yesterday my substrate arrived, i've opted for sand for this one and i set about washing it. I initially bought 25kg but i have had to buy another bag as 25kg doesn't seem sufficient, you can also sort of see the black background i've put on in this photo, replacing the 3d one.

Yeah i made a mess pouring the sand...

The heater i have to go in is a Fluval E300, and i am going to use ceramic, wool and course sponge in the filter. Would putting gravel in the filter baskets from my established tank help cycling?

Thats it for now! :)

Thanks for reading :thanks:

Got my ammonia today, just waiting on the rest of my sand arriving then i can start cycling.

Quick question on ornaments - should i put them in before i start cycling or are they ok to be added when i add the fish, after cycling?

Good Morning,

No, it doesn't matter when you add your decorations. You can do it now or you can wait until after the aquarium is cycled. I personally add whatever decorations I want before I start cycling my tanks.

That's what i have done previously, but i do not know what decor i want to use yet, and also need to get it bought hence the delay. Thanks for your response! :D

Also, if you're going to have live plants, add those plants now as well.

I'm not using live plants, the prospect of an invasion of snails scares me off that idea. :lol:

Haha, I know what you mean! Good luck with this tank. Don't shy away from asking questions. There's also plenty of threads on here already that may answer any questions you may have! I'll be following along. :)

Nice job so far! :) How did you fix the center brace? I recently started up a used 55 gallon and the center brace is completely snapped off. :(

Haha, I know what you mean! Good luck with this tank. Don't shy away from asking questions. There's also plenty of threads on here already that may answer any questions you may have! I'll be following along. :)

Thanks Ceej, I certainly dont mind asking questions :)

Nice job so far! :) How did you fix the center brace? I recently started up a used 55 gallon and the center brace is completely snapped off. :(

Mine was only snapped in half so I only had to splint it. I had a length of metal (pictured) left from something I made for a other hobby and simply drilled that, the remains of the standard brace and uses screws to hold the metal brace to the broken one thus holding it together.

Do you have a photo of yours?

Sorry it took me a bit in responding to you. When I received the tank, I didn't get the other piece that snapped completely off. I sort of figured on either doing a DIY fix on it or just buying a new trim piece altogether.

ForumRunner_20131112_132131.jpg

Some good progress today, still waiting on my silk plants from seapets, ordered 9 days ago and only posted yesterday, i will not be using that store again, but i have got the rocks cleaned and placed, as well as more sand. I have added a handful of gravel under the filter inlet to try and stop too much sand getting sucked in. I've built a few caves using stones gotten from the river, i'm thinking about picking up some slate's also to make a few others.

I think it looks quite cool :)

Does this ceramic media look ok?

First layer is course sponge, second is ceramic (pictured), third is wool.

Tank filled, hose in the bedroom window. Water is currently 15'c. Heater is going to be working over time lol.

Couldn't help but take a selfie haha.

Waiting on delivery of some silk plants, but i think it looks good as is?

Opinions please, as brutal or kind as they may be? :) (Opinions of the tank, not my face :D :lol: )

It looks great, Trooper! Love the way you laid the rock. I have a question about the rock in the middle..Is there a big cave-like hole in it, or is it just the coloring of it that makes it look like that? It looks like it'd be a nice hidey hole. :)
The only thing I can get after you about is to fill it up with some more water.:whistle:

The middle part is a plastic vase like thing, the only thing plastic in the tank, but i think it goes with the theme so i stuck it in.

With regards to the water, i dont think it's supposed to be any higher, the pdf of the manual has a terrible diagram on it, but i am certain it is not up to the hilt.

I like it, i enjoy watching the water moving. I never used to, but it grew on me on my other tank :lol:

At the moment, i am as far forward as this. Harlequins, corys, khulis, guppys, couple rams? I'm not actually that sure :lol:

A wee splash of colour, the water is no where near clear enough for my liking - I've ordered a 1400lph canister, should be here tomorrow, hopefully this clears the water :D

Back
Top Bottom