55g Stocking Research (Rainbowfish)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TDWagner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got a 55g for Christmas. ALMOST finished fishless cycling....should be ready by this weekend.

I've been researching livestock while staring at the empty tank for about 4 weeks now.

Final stock will be:
1-2 schools
1-2 non-schooling centerpiece fish (maybe)
3 or 4 bottom feeder cleanup crew type

I'd really like to go with a nice school of Rainbowfish as the main school. My favorites that I've come across so far are:
*Boeseman's - Melanotaenia boesemani
Australian - Melanotaenia splendida
Celebes - Telmatherina ladigesi
Turquoise - Melanotaenia lacustris

Any opinions as to which variety?
What about how many per school (I was thinking 5-7)? Opinions?

If I have two schools, I could go with two different types of Rainbowfish, or go one school of Rainbowfish, and one school of a different compatible species. Suggestions? Opinions?

I will probably be adding:
*Siamese Algae Eater - Crossocheilus siamensis
Sterba's Cory - Corydoras sterbai
(or some other kind of Cory) - Suggestions?
Maybe one colorful non-schooling fish as a centerpiece - Suggestions?

My goal is a peaceful community tank, but I've read that schooling fish don't school if the tank is "too peaceful". Should I look for something semi-aggressive, or intimidating-looking in order to keep a tighter school for visual impact? If they feel threatened enough to school, does that make them threatened enough to be stressed? Is that bad for them?

One of my biggest concerns is stocking the tank with fish that are compatible with my water and each other. My pH runs kinda high (7.8-8.4 ...still waiting for it to settle down and stabilize after my fishless cycle is done).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

*Designates my favorite picks so far.

In my tank, the only real "schooling fish" I have are the clown loaches. (roseline sharks school, but I only have one so far) Generally, they school together, and my tank is completley peaceful. (Well, one of my gouramis chases the other somewhat, but nobody messes with the loaches) My lfs just picked up some more roseline sharks this week. They are currently in a peaceful discus tank, and they school nicely. So I don't think you need aggressive fish if you have fish that naturally school together.

bosk1 said:
In my tank, the only real "schooling fish" I have are the clown loaches. (roseline sharks school, but I only have one so far) Generally, they school together, and my tank is completley peaceful. (Well, one of my gouramis chases the other somewhat, but nobody messes with the loaches) My lfs just picked up some more roseline sharks this week. They are currently in a peaceful discus tank, and they school nicely. So I don't think you need aggressive fish if you have fish that naturally school together.

Awesome...that's great to hear! I'm hoping to get lots more posts with corroborating and/or conflicting opinions....

Did I mention this forum is great?!? :D

I have a school of six rainbowfish in a planted 35 gal. Two boesemans, two turquoise, one red and one goyder river (all males). Even these six fish are going to outgrow this tank this year. Even though these fish only reach approx. 3.5" in length, they get quite deep. My advice would be to watch your stocking levels as these fish are very active. I have a hard time getting any food to the other smaller fish in the tank. A school of smaller fish may not get enough to eat. As far as a nice corycat, I have several "Sterbai" that are very beautiful.

bbrown said:
I have a school of six rainbowfish in a planted 35 gal. Two boesemans, two turquoise, one red and one goyder river (all males). Even these six fish are going to outgrow this tank this year. Even though these fish only reach approx. 3.5" in length, they get quite deep. My advice would be to watch your stocking levels as these fish are very active. I have a hard time getting any food to the other smaller fish in the tank. A school of smaller fish may not get enough to eat.

Yeah, I'm also worried about the stocking levels. I'm thinking of starting with a school of 7 or so Rainbowfish, then adding bottom feeders slowly 1 or 2 at a time. After that I'll have to make the decision whether a second school of smaller fish is going to be too much to handle. Definitely redundant filtering and weekly PWC's.

What are the dimensions of a 35g tank? My 55 is 48" long, so that should give a decent amount of swimming room....I just have to be careful considering how active everyone says they are.

Oh yeah, I was also wondering if your various Rainbowfish school together or just scatter. I pulled a quote:

Different species of Rainbow fish generally do not get confused and school together. Each species will usually keep to its own species. You should plan on keeping a group of at least six of each species.

Here's the page (look at the bottom of the page at the customer comment in a yellow box):
http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/cyprinids/rainbows.htm

I'd really like for mine to school, so I might stick with all Boeseman's.

bbrown said:
As far as a nice corycat, I have several "Sterbai" that are very beautiful.

YES!! I love those spotted cory. I've seen pics of those from other people that just called them "cory" but I couldn't figure out the specific type. I'll edit my original post that this is the type of cory I'm interested in. Do you have them together with your Rainbows? Any compatibility or water parameter issues between these that you know of?

Corycats will get along fine with any peaceful fish - large or small. The only thing to watch is if you add salt (ie. for treatment). Corys do not tolerate salt well. I found this out the hard way when I was treating ich and added salt. All the other fish survived but the corys (who did not have ich) died. Again, I have a hard time getting food to the corys because the rainbows will even snatch the shrimp pellets as I put them in.

bbrown said:
Corycats will get along fine with any peaceful fish - large or small. The only thing to watch is if you add salt (ie. for treatment). Corys do not tolerate salt well. I found this out the hard way when I was treating ich and added salt. All the other fish survived but the corys (who did not have ich) died. Again, I have a hard time getting food to the corys because the rainbows will even snatch the shrimp pellets as I put them in.

Good to know...I'll stick with heat-only treatment if I end up with ICH problems in the future.

Also, I edited my post above with a question about schooling.

Thanks for your help!!
Tim

TDWagner said:

Yes, but you didn't specifically mention how great I am. I'm waiting... :D

TDWagner said:
Good to know...I'll stick with heat-only treatment when I end up with ICH problems in the future.

^fixed. I think it's inevitable...

bosk1 said:
TDWagner said:

Yes, but you didn't specifically mention how great I am. I'm waiting... :D

TDWagner said:
Good to know...I'll stick with heat-only treatment when I end up with ICH problems in the future.

^fixed. I think it's inevitable...

BOSK1 RULES!!! LOL! :lol:

Seriously though, you've been very very helpful to me in my threads as well as other threads I've read.

People helping each other is what's so great about the internet!

Many thanks!!!

Updated Potential Stock List

7 Rainbowfish (either all Boeseman's or a mixture)
5? Sterba's Cory - Corydoras sterbai
2-3 Siamese Algae Eater - Crossocheilus siamensis

I read that Sterbai are more comfortable schooling, so I feel like I should keep 5 instead of just 2 or 3.

Looking at adult sizes:

7 X 4-5 inches = 28-35 inches
5 X 2-3 inches = 10-15 inches
3 X 4-5 inches = 12-15 inches

Total = 50-65 inches

ARRRGGGGHHH, I'm potentially overstocked already and I'm still in the planning stages!!!! LOL! :lol:

That's why fishless cycling is so good.... all the time in the world to plan! :)

fishygurl said:
Thats not overstocked i dont think. I dont know anything compared to some people here though, so ill let them give you advice.

It's pretty close to the 1" per gallon rule that there's so much controversy about. I'm thinking it'll be ok as long as I keep up with the PWC's.

Think that will work. You have some active fish on your list but nothing aggresive. You could always try a smaller school of rainbows say 5 and see how they do. If they seem happy with plenty of room then you could add 2 more.

Back
Top Bottom