55g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I've made a few threads here or there about this tank, but this will hopefully be the big thread that will combine everything together!

To get started here are some of my questions:

I have some substrate in the tank-sand- but it isn't very much. There's probably 30lbs in there. I want to do a mix with some plant substrate, what kind?

I have some wisteria and an anubais afezlii in the tank, what more kinds of plants can I have? There's no CO2. I am going to get a light fixture but what kind? I don't want some big kind, just something to grow. I would like to have jungle val, more kinds of anubais, crypts, and maybe some more plants. Also, I seem to kill anacharis... so that's out of the plans...

I'll get to stocking some other time, thanks for the help thus far!:thanks:

For substrate I'm thinking eco-complete. Less cleaning because it's pre-rinsed!

Here are my Fish Ideas:
x1 Angelfish
x10 Panda Corydoras
x8 Emperor Tetras
x8 Diamond/Kerri Blue Tetras
x1-2 GBRS
x5 Platys
x5-6 Guppies

Sound okay? Need to take out some from the plan?

Yay! You're finally getting it started!!! :)
Hi, I've made a few threads here or there about this tank, but this will hopefully be the big thread that will combine everything together!

To get started here are some of my questions:

I have some substrate in the tank-sand- but it isn't very much. There's probably 30lbs in there. I want to do a mix with some plant substrate, what kind?
I liked my Eco-Complete. People also recommend Flourite, however it shouldn't really matter since plants don't care about substrate that much.
I have some wisteria and an anubais afezlii in the tank, what more kinds of plants can I have? There's no CO2. I am going to get a light fixture but what kind? I don't want some big kind, just something to grow. I would like to have jungle val, more kinds of anubais, crypts, and maybe some more plants. Also, I seem to kill anacharis... so that's out of the plans...
What kind of light fixture is it? If it's low light crypts, anubias, hornwort, and pennywort can work.
I'll get to stocking some other time, thanks for the help thus far!:thanks:

For substrate I'm thinking eco-complete. Less cleaning because it's pre-rinsed!
I agree :)
Here are my Fish Ideas:
x1 Angelfish
x10 Panda Corydoras
x8 Emperor Tetras
x8 Diamond/Kerri Blue Tetras
x1-2 GBRS
x5 Platys
x5-6 Guppies
It can work. Although I would choose just one livebearer so you could add more of them, but that is JMO.
Sound okay? Need to take out some from the plan?
You can see everything I wrote above in red. Good luck! I've subscribed and am following along :)

Yeah, I honestly just want s substrate that I won't have to spend hours cleaning like I did with my sand...

I'm not sure what kind of lighting it is, though it seems to be not good. It came with another tank that I bought, which is at my grandparents garage. It's a bit small on the tank, but I'm hopefully going to buy a new one. I'm thinking about getting one of those lights that people hang in garages for the tank and put in some T8s. Not much, but honestly I can't go out and get nice lighting because my mother thinks I already have too much invested:p

I already have one platy but my sister wants more... And my mother is in love with guppies, want to make her happy. I guess that I'll just put in the one platy and add some guppies and see how everything turns out.

Thanks bruins!

Just idea on the lights- i have an Odyssea fixture on one of my tanks that i purchased off of ebay. 48inch, T5HO dual light fixture (believe its either 65k or 67k) for $59 plus free shipping. Not state of the art but its functional for the the price! If you look into this, look for the one with actual brackets to screw onto the tank not the metal stands for setting on top (unless you want to set it on hood).

jlk said:
Just idea on the lights- i have an Odyssea fixture on one of my tanks that i purchased off of ebay. 48inch, T5HO dual light fixture (believe its either 65k or 67k) for $59 plus free shipping. Not state of the art but its functional for the the price! If you look into this, look for the one with actual brackets to screw onto the tank not the metal stands for setting on top (unless you want to set it on hood).

Ok, that sounds good. Thanks!!!

If all you want is medium - low light, you can take my route. I went to Lowe's and picked up a 4' T8 2 bulb fixture along (on sale for $17, maybe a little less) with 2 32 watt Daylight bulbs. This set up gives you a total of 64W, which is around 1.2 WPG. This is a superb way to get medium/low lighting without breaking the bank.

Now, here is my disclaimer: many, many people will argue that this is very low light. However, myself and a few others would disagree. Don't ask me how it works, but this setup is clearly medium light. I can tell by the growth rates I am getting that this cannot be very low lighting. Right now I am keeping 3 types of Swords, Anacharis, Hornwort, Java Moss, Blyxa, Ludwigia, and Marsilea minuta. All these are great for this set up (minus the Blyxa which is not doing too hot right now) and I think it is great for somebody that doesn't want to fool with high tech.

I will say that the aforementioned light with enriched substrate like you are planning on will grow a wide variety of plants fairly well.

adadkins1 said:
If all you want is medium - low light, you can take my route. I went to Lowe's and picked up a 4' T8 2 bulb fixture along (on sale for $17, maybe a little less) with 2 32 watt Daylight bulbs. This set up gives you a total of 64W, which is around 1.2 WPG. This is a superb way to get medium/low lighting without breaking the bank.

Now, here is my disclaimer: many, many people will argue that this is very low light. However, myself and a few others would disagree. Don't ask me how it works, but this setup is clearly medium light. I can tell by the growth rates I am getting that this cannot be very low lighting. Right now I am keeping 3 types of Swords, Anacharis, Hornwort, Java Moss, Blyxa, Ludwigia, and Marsilea minuta. All these are great for this set up (minus the Blyxa which is not doing too hot right now) and I think it is great for somebody that doesn't want to fool with high tech.

I will say that the aforementioned light with enriched substrate like you are planning on will grow a wide variety of plants fairly well.

That's what I was thinking about doing. My thing is how did you put it on your tank? I couldn't figure it out. I really like this option:)

I just sit it on top of my tank. I have glass 2 24" glass hoods so i just sit it right on the tank. Whenever I do maintenance, I am able to prop the light against my HOB filters and open the glass top. Sure, you could do a ceiling mount or make some legs but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I have the same Odyssea model but it just has different brackets. No complaints. Its not anything fancy (ie moonlights, cooling fans, etc) but its functional, grows plants, & the bulbs are easy to switch out if you need to replace them. :)

Ok so I went to the aquarium store today with my mother... That was fun.
I'm pretty sure I'll get the light fixture especially since she saw the price of them at the store;)
I'm going to change some things around with stocking:

x2 Black Veil Leopard Angels (she saw two there that she fell in love with and so did my sister)
x10 Diamond Tetras/Cherry Barbs(?)
x10 Cardinal(?)/Kerri Blue Tetras
x6 Platies
x2-3 Farowella Catfish (?)
x1 Gentle Female Betta
x10 Panda Cories
x1-2 GBR
A lot of snails

Sound good? Too much? This is just my mom and I strolling through the store picking out cool fish:)

I'd say that is going to be fully stocked, maybe overstocked a tad. In my 55 I have:

1 Pearl Gourami
1 Clown Pleco
1 Bristlenose Pleco
8 Marbled Hatchetfish
3 Guppies
15 Glowlight Tetras
2 GBR's
8 Kuhli Loaches

Really, IMO one large school of tetras (10-20 for a 55g) looks much better than 2 smaller schools. I had two schools of tetras in my 55 and it just looked weird to me. Since I removed the second school of tetras and added on to my Glowlights I couldn't be happier. If you just did 20 Cardinal Tetras it would be stunning.

adadkins1 said:
I'd say that is going to be fully stocked, maybe overstocked a tad. In my 55 I have:

1 Pearl Gourami
1 Clown Pleco
1 Bristlenose Pleco
8 Marbled Hatchetfish
3 Guppies
15 Glowlight Tetras
2 GBR's
8 Kuhli Loaches

Really, IMO one large school of tetras (10-20 for a 55g) looks much better than 2 smaller schools. I had two schools of tetras in my 55 and it just looked weird to me. Since I removed the second school of tetras and added on to my Glowlights I couldn't be happier. If you just did 20 Cardinal Tetras it would be stunning.

Ok, 20 cardinals it is:). I love the look of them! Thanks! I'll be very careful when stocking and do it slowly and right. I may take out some platies and just do 3 of them.

Yeah, I would say only 3 Platies would be smart. Of course, take my opinion with a grain of salt. My 55g is moderately planted tank and with the above stocking my nitrAtes stay at 10ppm. :)

adadkins1 said:
Yeah, I would say only 3 Platies would be smart. Of course, take my opinion with a grain of salt. My 55g is moderately planted tank and with the above stocking my nitrAtes stay at 10ppm. :)

Ok, I may cut down on a few more things as time goes on. I don't want to do more water changes than the usual weekly one. Thanks!

I went to another pet store today, a new one!!! It was gorgeous:)
I've now redone my stocking and I am going to pick up some jungle val the next time that I go there which will be Friday or Saturday.

x2 Angelfish
x20 Cardinals or Emperor Tetras
x1 Clown Pleco
x7 Panda Cories
x6 Peppered Cories
x1 Platy
x1 Gentle Female Betta
x1 or 2 Bolivian Ram(s) (probably just 1)

I think that's good. The fish store made me fall in love with the clown pleco, they're just so cute!!! I think that this is full. Any other opinions or ideas?

Also plant options are always welcomed;)

I think like 15 Panda Cories would be awesome. I know, here I go again preaching about one school looking better. Also, if you don't feel a real need to get a Platy I would leave it off all together because it just doesn't fit (if that makes since). I also think the female Betta is very iffy, mine that recently died was one mean girl!

What is the lighting for the tank?

adadkins1 said:
I think like 15 Panda Cories would be awesome. I know, here I go again preaching about one school looking better. Also, if you don't feel a real need to get a Platy I would leave it off all together because it just doesn't fit (if that makes since). I also think the female Betta is very iffy, mine that recently died was one mean girl!

What is the lighting for the tank?

Yeah, but I have one peppered Cory left from my original little school of them. I'm hoping that they'd school together but I'm pretty sure that won't happen... But it'd be so cool to have 15. I also have a platy in another one of my tanks that I want out of there because we're getting a different group of fish.

My female is currently in a 2.5, was in an 8g, but she's super nice to all the other fish that were in there. Her tank was next to a males tank and she just ignored him while he flared the entire time. If there is an issue that becomes of it I'll re home her back into the 2.5g:)

The lighting is going to be 108w. It's the odyssea lighting. It'll hopefully be bought soon, as soon as money comes in I'll be ordering it which will be soon. I'm thinking vals, crypts, ferns, anubias, etc...

Back
Top Bottom