55stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will this work

55gallon
5 koi angels
6dwarf gouramies
4black skirt tetras
2 bristlenose plecos
1 kissing gourami

calfishguy said:
Will this work

55gallon
5 koi angels
6dwarf gouramies
4black skirt tetras
2 bristlenose plecos
1 kissing gourami

No.
Kissing gouramis get a foot long so it's too big for a 55.
If you want 5 angels that's all you can have. The chances are two or four will pair off and cause aggression issues.
IMO only one dwarf gourami per tank unless you have a male and female or a trio of one male two females. Even then chances of bullying are high.
Black skirts need 6 or more of their own kind but IMO 8 or more is better. They are quite nippy with each other and tank mates if kept in small groups.
2 BN plecos are fine in a 55.

My black skirts are not nippy and my dwarf gouramies are very peaceful
FYI kissing gouramies take a very long time to get to a foot he is currently three inches long and I bought him when he was three inches long three months ago.

No, there isn't room for both the angels and gouramis. I would pick one or the other. The skirts and BN's definitely work.

If your three get along (it might not last I've experienced it) I wouldn't add any more. It might disrupt what they have going on and spark aggression.
Any other fish your interested in?

Does it have to be 5 angels? Personally, I would go with 2 so you don't end up with a pair bullying the others around.

I don't think that would allow room for the gouramis as well. Too many territorial fish for the space IMO.

you said you were adding that many to help with aggression, that would be overstocking to reduce aggression since its recommended to only have pairs. that theory wont work for those fish, only really works for african cichlids like mbuna.

Uh, there's room for the angels w/o the gouramis. Even then, it's no longer an issue of over stocking, but there could still be compatibility issues within the 5. Not sure what "this" is we should challenge. Common sense?

Back
Top Bottom