56 Gallon finalization questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh. Well I would get the dual AC 70s in that case, just because you would have a bag of bio media always available to seed future tanks needing to be cycled. You could also put different types of media in each one. (Like maybe all bio media in one, and all mechanical media in the other)
Theres a thought... I like the c4 though because there is alot of space for biomedia...

GodFan said:
Theres a thought... I like the c4 though because there is alot of space for biomedia...

There is also a lot of space for media in ACs because you can put whatever media you want in there.

:deadhorse: canister filter with 2x's the bio media, 25%more flow, less consumables, easier maintenance, $79.95 no tax/no shipping, WITH a UV sterilizer. :deadhorse:

Don't get me wrong... I don't think you should do anything other than what you want to with your tank. It is your decision and no one lives with the resulting affects other than you. However, if finances are the reasoning for not going with better filtration, but there is a willingness to spend more on fish, once there is a realization that the fish budget may have been slightly too large for the tank size, it would seem to me that the amount saved on the purchase of fish could easily be applied to tank conditioning?

Again, not hating and no judgement. Just wondering...

:deadhorse: canister filter with 2x's the bio media, 25%more flow, less consumables, easier maintenance, $79.95 no tax/no shipping, WITH a UV sterilizer. :deadhorse:

Don't get me wrong... I don't think you should do anything other than what you want to with your tank. It is your decision and no one lives with the resulting affects other than you. However, if finances are the reasoning for not going with better filtration, but there is a willingness to spend more on fish, once there is a realization that the fish budget may have been slightly too large for the tank size, it would seem to me that the amount saved on the purchase of fish could easily be applied to tank conditioning?

Again, not hating and no judgement. Just wondering...
No offense taken. Honestly I havent seen any deals like that (link? lol) And I wouldnt even know how to set one up. Im kind of intimidated by them because of the pipes and such...

No offense taken. Honestly I havent seen any deals like that (link? lol) And I wouldnt even know how to set one up. Im kind of intimidated by them because of the pipes and such...
I think they're talking about a knock off brand one, like Aquatop for example.

I think they're talking about a knock off brand one, like Aquatop for example.

Sounds like Aquatop to me too. $100 will get you the biggest one from Amazon as far as I know.

Just my pref, but I like to have two filters, even if the capacity only totals one larger filter that might be on the tank. That way you can ping-pong your filter cleaning regiment, and if one fails, you aren't totally railed.

On a side note, the Fluval C4's seem to have a pretty decent media capacity if you leave out the carbon, and two of those should run you about $75.

Sounds like Aquatop to me too. $100 will get you the biggest one from Amazon as far as I know.

Just my pref, but I like to have two filters, even if the capacity only totals one larger filter that might be on the tank. That way you can ping-pong your filter cleaning regiment, and if one fails, you aren't totally railed.

On a side note, the Fluval C4's seem to have a pretty decent media capacity if you leave out the carbon, and two of those should run you about $75.
Dont I need carbon?

No offense taken. Honestly I havent seen any deals like that (link? lol) And I wouldn't even know how to set one up. I'm kind of intimidated by them because of the pipes and such...
Cool, I definitely didn't want to offend you. I actually tried to delete the post, but I was on a tablet and the tablet form of this site does not allow you that option. Later, I tried on my phone, still no luck. By the time I got to the home computer, I just figure it was too late.

It is an Aquatop. I have no personal experience with them at all. I don't know if they are good/bad/acceptable/not. After the previous link to them, I did some web surfing. If they are what they say they are, it impressed me. If they made one slightly smaller, I would get one for my 20L.

I found this:
Aquatop CF Series Canister Filters with Built-in UV Sterilizeer - YouTube
which shows assembly, set up, and maintenance. About the only thing I've been able to find negative about them is that they don't come with enough bio-media. But, if that is the only gripe, that is taken care of pretty easily for not much money.

The CF 500 might be a bit much for your tank. I try to shoot for somewhere between 6 to 8 times the turnover rate for a tank. For a 56 gallon, that would be between 336gph to 448gph.

The CF500 is 525gph, which would turn the tank over 9.4 times and may cause current issues (depending on the fish you use). However, it does come with a spray bar, which would limit direct current flow but still have a high turnover rate.

The CF400 is rated at 370gph, which seems about right. You can find them on Amazon with free shipping, but you'll pay tax. You can look at Buy.com and they have both free shipping and no tax.
Buy.com - AQUATOP CF-400UV Canister Filter with UV Sterilizer - 370 gph

I would do your own research and maybe a search for reviews so you can feel comfortable with your purchase. Again, I have NO personal experience with these at all. I can say I love my Fluval and wouldn't have ever tried a canister except I got it for free with the purchase of the tank off CraigsList. Now that I've had a canister, I'll never go back. Just my personal experience though... that and five pennies get you a nickel.

Cool, I definitely didn't want to offend you. I actually tried to delete the post, but I was on a tablet and the tablet form of this site does not allow you that option. Later, I tried on my phone, still no luck. By the time I got to the home computer, I just figure it was too late.

It is an Aquatop. I have no personal experience with them at all. I don't know if they are good/bad/acceptable/not. After the previous link to them, I did some web surfing. If they are what they say they are, it impressed me. If they made one slightly smaller, I would get one for my 20L.

I found this:
which shows assembly, set up, and maintenance. About the only thing I've been able to find negative about them is that they don't come with enough bio-media. But, if that is the only gripe, that is taken care of pretty easily for not much money.

The CF 500 might be a bit much for your tank. I try to shoot for somewhere between 6 to 8 times the turnover rate for a tank. For a 56 gallon, that would be between 336gph to 448gph.

The CF500 is 525gph, which would turn the tank over 9.4 times and may cause current issues (depending on the fish you use). However, it does come with a spray bar, which would limit direct current flow but still have a high turnover rate.

The CF400 is rated at 370gph, which seems about right. You can find them on Amazon with free shipping, but you'll pay tax. You can look at Buy.com and they have both free shipping and no tax.

I would do your own research and maybe a search for reviews so you can feel comfortable with your purchase. Again, I have NO personal experience with these at all. I can say I love my Fluval and wouldn't have ever tried a canister except I got it for free with the purchase of the tank off CraigsList. Now that I've had a canister, I'll never go back. Just my personal experience though... that and five pennies get you a nickel.
Ok thanks. Ill check it out :)

I think 525gph would be fine with a spray bar. I run my Fluval 405 with a spray bar, and have an AC110 going full-bore and don't have current issues between them (same tank as OP). There is a very mild current that sweeps the bottom of the tank, but I'd worry more about not having that since this is a column tank (don't want any deadspots near the bottom).

Dale_I said:

I found this:

I kind of already covered the aquatops a long time ago in the thread...

Back
Top Bottom