5G Shrimp tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tarpon said:
If you ask me leaving a desk lamp on 8-12 hours a day is a fire hazard. Id just buy a hood.
Also, sponge filters are cheap (in the good way)

Many people in my aquatic plant club use desk lamps. Using a compact fluorescent bulb is much cooler than an incandescent and as long as you aren't throwing water on it, it's just fine.

I have a rimless 10g with a clip on light, I've almost knocked that into the tank. Same with my hood, have to be careful not to drop it in. A lamp won't fall in any easier.

You can always hang your light also.

Coursair said:
Many people in my aquatic plant club use desk lamps. Using a compact fluorescent bulb is much cooler than an incandescent and as long as you aren't throwing water on it, it's just fine.

I have a rimless 10g with a clip on light, I've almost knocked that into the tank. Same with my hood, have to be careful not to drop it in. A lamp won't fall in any easier.

You can always hang your light also.

Yeah haha I don't plan on it being an underwater lamp haha as for hanging the light, that won't be possible. Dad wont let me make any holes in the wall. But IMO that's completely understandable lol

Coursair said:
I use API Leaf Zone. My Shrimp are fine with it. I don't use any liquid CO2 booster.

I have RCS and CRS.

Awesome! Can't wait to start using it again. As for the aqueon liquid fert, it has macro and micro nutrients. It has k20, calcium, Magnesium, sulfur,boron, iron, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc. Any of those harmful to shrimp? Not too sure, but I think I remember someone using a supplement that had k20, and their shrimp colony had a much more dim color to it and starting to die off. Again, not too sure on that. I know to stay away from the chemical CSM+B.

Coursair said:
You can always put a screen or light plastic lattice over the tank if you have jumpers. There are clips if the tank is rimless.

For the light? Also, I have good news! I found a rimless tank. I believe it's about 10g maybe 15. It is $30, and I might be able to get it but I'm still thinking about it. I think it would be a great shrimp tank but still thinking about it. Thoughts?

Austin.b said:
For the light? Also, I have good news! I found a rimless tank. I believe it's about 10g maybe 15. It is $30, and I might be able to get it but I'm still thinking about it. I think it would be a great shrimp tank but still thinking about it. Thoughts?

That would be fine. You won't need a top unless you add fish that are jumpers. RCS or CRS are fine. Amanos sometimes escape.

Coursair said:
That would be fine. You won't need a top unless you add fish that are jumpers. RCS or CRS are fine. Amanos sometimes escape.

Ok cool, I will not be adding any fish. Oh wow, I didn't know that. Are there any shrimp that tend to get out other than amano?

aqua_chem said:
Csm+b shouldn't be an issue for shrimp

Really? I saw this blog about different ferts and shrimp and the guy said that this was a pretty harmful chemical to his shrimp. I just thought that's it's probably not worth risking it tho lol

Really? I saw this blog about different ferts and shrimp and the guy said that this was a pretty harmful chemical to his shrimp. I just thought that's it's probably not worth risking it tho lol

Sounds like someone killed their shrimp and scapegoated their ferts.

jetajockey said:
I use CSM+B in my shrimp tanks, never had an issue. It's a micromix. Was it a concern about the copper content?

Ok now I know it dosent affect shrimp lol and I'm pretty sure it was about the copper content. I was at petsmart tonight picking up a check valve and I took a look at flourish excel and I saw that it has copper! Lol for some reason I was surprised lol.

Austin.b said:
Ok now I know it dosent affect shrimp lol and I'm pretty sure it was about the copper content. I was at petsmart tonight picking up a check valve and I took a look at flourish excel and I saw that it has copper! Lol for some reason I was surprised lol.

I personally don't use CO2 in my Shrimp tanks. I tried 1/2 strength and lost two CRS. Excel is liquid Carbon supplement. I have the API version. I don't think it has Copper ?

I use other ferts. Just not Carbon. But YMMV.

FYI you'll see some Shrimp Food has trace amounts of Copper. It's ok, it's not enough to bother them. Same for Osmocote Plus, I use it as root tabs in my Shrimp tank, copper content is very minimal and Shrimp are breeding fine.

Many of my SFBAAPS club members use injected CO2 or Excel with Shrimp. I'm just afraid to try it again. I do use it in my fish only planted tanks.

I found my 2 amanos dried up on my floor on the other side of the room from the tank.
The only opening was the lid was cracked open about 1/2 an inch. How they got out is beyond me

Coursair said:
I personally don't use CO2 in my Shrimp tanks. I tried 1/2 strength and lost two CRS. Excel is liquid Carbon supplement. I have the API version. I don't think it has Copper ?

I use other ferts. Just not Carbon. But YMMV.

FYI you'll see some Shrimp Food has trace amounts of Copper. It's ok, it's not enough to bother them. Same for Osmocote Plus, I use it as root tabs in my Shrimp tank, copper content is very minimal and Shrimp are breeding fine.

Many of my SFBAAPS club members use injected CO2 or Excel with Shrimp. I'm just afraid to try it again. I do use it in my fish only planted tanks.

Hmmmm, it probably wasn't excel then. Must have been flourish iron or something haha

YMMV? Yeah, I not gunna use carbon either in my shrimp tanks.

Oh wow, I didn't know that! I didn't really pay attention to how much copper the ferts have, If I just saw copper as an ingredient I wouldn't use it. Guess thats not the way to do it lol

IMO, I wouldn't risk using Excel. Especially if it was a more expensive shrimp breed, Like tiger or CRS.

aqua_chem said:
I run around 50 ppm CO2 and my amanos are fine.

I'm still relatively new to co2, is that alot? Or would that be a medium amount? Sorry for the dumb question lol

Back
Top Bottom