6.5 gallon lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stinnettjosh

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im setting up a 6.5 gallon tank thats gonna be about 9 inches deep. Im looking to grow some pretty low light stuff like crypts, moss, and maybe some dwarf sag or something like that with excel supplementation. Does anybody have any ideas for a good economic light? Im looking to spend no more than maybe $35.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Would i just clip it onto the side of the tank or mount it somehow?

I just set mine on top of the glass on top of the tank. You could also hang it from the ceiling some how. Depending on the fixture, it may not clamp in a way that's conducive to pointing light appropriately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh ok. And wouldn't that put me above just excel supplementation and needing pressurized co2?

It would be very bright and yes pressurized would certainly be beneficial. A 13 watt bulb instead would give you medium light and could be regulated with excel.

Fluvial makes a compact light that they sell on amazon for 25$ its a clamp on and I believe its 13 watts. Check it out. Its pretty nice

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So im setting up a 6.5 gallon tank thats gonna be about 9 inches deep. Im looking to grow some pretty low light stuff like crypts, moss, and maybe some dwarf sag or something like that with excel supplementation. Does anybody have any ideas for a good economic light? Im looking to spend no more than maybe $35.

Although a worklight with a CFL will do the job, IMO, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing to look at on top of someones aquarium. However, if this is not a display nano tank and you're just using it to grow out stuff or it's like not meant to look good, then there's other alternatives to explore for $35.

As what was mentioned, the Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp is a great option!
Amazon.com : Fluval Mini Power Compact Lamp - 13W : Aquarium Lights : Pet Supplies

This is only a bit above your budget, but it's worth it! I have it on my low tech 6g!
Amazon.com : Finnex Fugeray-R Ultra Slim Aquarium LED Light Fixture : Led Clip Fish Tank Lights : Pet Supplies

This Finnex PC bulb clip light is okay too... But you should change the bulb that's not 50/50 actinic... something 6500K.
Amazon.com : CL26BK: Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight including 3U Blue White Bulb & Moonlight LED - REAL BLACK : Aquarium Lights : Pet Supplies

There's some inexpensive Beamswork LEDs that can be had on AquaTraders too. Just look for something that's 6500K in color temperature and fits your tank.
LED Aquarium Lighting

BTW, how long is this tank?

Its 24". Im going for the mr aqua 6 gallon long look but im gonna build the tank with more normal measurements if its cheaper that way.

And that finnex led you linked looks pretty good.

Except its only 10 inches...

Wow... that's a very unique and interesting footprint of a tank to put any light on it. I actually have the 3g Long Mr. Aqua version of that. Plus it's an elegant rimless tank so not any light will look good on it. IMO, a 24" Current Sat+ would look amazing on this tank! But it's way above your budget. But if you can save for it, it's worth it IMO. It's dimmable and color changeable with dynamic modes and FX. But if you don't care for the extra colors and FX, you can opt for the less powerful version of it. It uses all white LEDs with some Blue I believe. At least it has a dimming ability too. The 18" has legs that pull out to fit the 24" long tank. It's closer to your budget, but still slightly over. The 24" (that has legs that can pull out to 36") will look much better IMO.

Satellite Freshwater LED Lighting Fixtures | PetSolutions

Look at Google Images for inspiration on lighting options:
Let me google that for you

Except its only 10 inches...

Well, that's because you left out the VERY important info on the length of this tank. Not many people get these long and interesting tanks!

So forget those other options I mentioned. The only way those clip lights would work on that footprint of a tank would be to get two of them (which you can do, but it'll cost ya).

Well i could definitely go for the current 24" fixture you linked to. Is that the one with more options or the cheaper one?

Current Satellite LED+ has more features. It has two rows of white and RGB LEDs with a wireless remote.

The cheaper one, Current Satellite LED (no plus), is just a single row of white and blue LEDs. It has a wired remote that only allows for control of the white and blue channel. It's also dimmable.

Ok and you think just the satellite will work for some low light plants with excel?

I haven't used that light before (just the Sat+ version), but I'm 90% sure it would be a good fit for that 6g long. It's sleek and skinny, plus if you had to reduce the light due to algae or something, the dimming capability will be appreciated.

I just found this YouTube video that briefly explains the difference between the two. And I think they're using the 6g long to demo the non-plus satellite.

Current USA Satellite LED Light Fixtures - Produc…: http://youtu.be/a4dGd0LLEO4

Ok awesome. Thanks so much for all the help.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom