60 gal cube filtration -no sump or canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a cheap 60gal (230litre) - close to being a cube shape as I could picture an amazing reef with the height of the glass however there is no room for a sump. If I buy around 10- 20kgs of live rock and buy a hob skimmer and do regular wcs, will this be enough filtration to support a reef tank or will I need a canister too or a hob filter? I was sent a link previously about various filtration methods but am more curious about the size of the tank and if the skimmer and bio filtration using LR would be enough. I have also been looking up hob refugiums but they are in the USA and combined with postage it's a killer $$. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I bought a cheap 60gal (230litre) - close to being a cube shape as I could picture an amazing reef with the height of the glass however there is no room for a sump. If I buy around 10- 20kgs of live rock and buy a hob skimmer and do regular wcs, will this be enough filtration to support a reef tank or will I need a canister too or a hob filter? I was sent a link previously about various filtration methods but am more curious about the size of the tank and if the skimmer and bio filtration using LR would be enough. I have also been looking up hob refugiums but they are in the USA and combined with postage it's a killer $$. Thanks

I think you could be ok. However, if you can fit a small sump underneath, that would be best. Maybe just a sump big enough for a skimmer and return pump? But, if you keep fishload down, you could most likely get away without one.

Thanks. I have been debating whether to have cichlids again or look for another tank with sump if it's going to be too much hassle. Definitely won't fit a sump with this one. The cupboard has only one small compartment and the other side is made up of drawers.

No need for further responses. Just negotiated on an AquaReef 195 and picking it up today- yay. Will re sell the 230litre now.

Back
Top Bottom