60 gal school build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm in charge of the school's 60gal tank. I'll be setting it up from scratch. It has white sand in it right now which I plan to change out to blue (to look good in the decor of the school). I have an Aqueon 75 filter and appropriately sized heater. There are seeded filters in my tanks at home so it should cycle quickly.

I am looking for stocking suggestions. I would love Cories on the bottom as they are my favorite fish and not too expensive. Perhaps a few schools and a centerpiece fish? No angels though. I've had them at home and they are too limiting. Would a single DG be a good centerpiece fish?

Also, if I put in live plants can they grow with LED lights? There is no natural light on the spot where the tank is.

I'm in charge of the school's 60gal tank. I'll be setting it up from scratch. It has white sand in it right now which I plan to change out to blue (to look good in the decor of the school). I have an Aqueon 75 filter and appropriately sized heater. There are seeded filters in my tanks at home so it should cycle quickly.

I am looking for stocking suggestions. I would love Cories on the bottom as they are my favorite fish and not too expensive. Perhaps a few schools and a centerpiece fish? No angels though. I've had them at home and they are too limiting. Would a single DG be a good centerpiece fish?

Also, if I put in live plants can they grow with LED lights? There is no natural light on the spot where the tank is.

A large school of 10 or so cories would be cool. For a center piece fish you could do a pearl gourami instead of a dg because I think dgs are too small to be a centerpiece fish in a 60 gallon. What are the dimensions on the tank? If it's big enough (more like long enough) you could have rainbowfish in there, as a top dwelling fish, the kids would love that. For the middle, fish like harlequin rasboras, and my favorite, bloodfin tetras (most tetras are good though), are good hardy fish.

U could have a school of red cherry shrimp some cories and some tetras

The good thing is it is big so u can have room to play with y not some kuhli loaches if the school is big enough they will be active and courious

Attachments

• image-983485532.jpg
    image-983485532.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 43
It's tall and pentagon shaped. It's clearly a older tank. I will research the loaches! Thanks for the suggestion.

On first look, loaches seem pretty neat and an interesting addition to the tank.

They r slender and there bioload is very small so u can get more than u think

I played around on AqAdvisor and came up with the following stocking scheme. As always, comments are welcome.

8 albino Cories (bottom dwellers, active during the day)
6 kuhli loaches (bottom dwellers, active at night)
12 neon tetras for a nice shoaling effect, (mid-level dwellers)
12 harlequin Rasboras also for a nice shoaling effect (mid-to-top level swimmers)
2 pearl gouramis, male and females (mid-to-top level swimmers)

I really don't want the gouramis to breed as it requires a low water level and they might get a tad aggressive.

According to AqAdvisor, this scheme is 82% stocked with a recommended 24% water change a week. I'll do way more than that. I always change 50% of my tanks' wate a week and don't feed every day, just most days.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom