60 gallon stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dissy

Aquarium Advice Regular
If you had a completely cycled, well established, fully decorated 60 gallon tank that was completely empty (save for sand, driftwood, artificial plants, power head, and heater) what would you put in it?

I'd put in a rainbow shark, a bristlenose pleco, 10 orange laser cories, 10 black skirt tetras, and some rams. Or if you've really got some $ and commitment... Discus.

I'd put in a rainbow shark, a bristlenose pleco, 10 orange laser cories, 10 black skirt tetras, and some rams. Or if you've really got some $ and commitment... Discus.

What kind of rams? (I looked up the laser cories - those are *adorable*, but...won't the shark eat them? They seem kinda small, and red-tails hit something like 5-8" if I remember right)

Bolivians are hardier, so I'd go with them. the rainbow shark gets to 7 inches, and probably won't touch the cories. The rainbow shark in my experience Is a much more docile fish then the red tailed shark. Also, the orange lasers are some if the bigger cories, and if I'm correct get to be a good 3 inches.

Bolivians are hardier, so I'd go with them. the rainbow shark gets to 7 inches, and probably won't touch the cories. The rainbow shark in my experience Is a much more docile fish then the red tailed shark. Also, the orange lasers are some if the bigger cories, and if I'm correct get to be a good 3 inches.

How many Bolivians? (They're about as cute as the picky, wishy-washy Blue Rams I wanted awhile back).. I don't really care about spawning, but reading indicates they display far more "interesting" behavior in groups of approx. 5, but that each fish needs 10 sq. inches of it's own spaced? (I have 8 black skirts in another tank - those are a riot, but not sure I want them in 2 tanks).

Haha, ok. I'd get maybe 4, so you could get two pairs, or you could not, all depends on the luck of the draw. They do claim a territory if they spawn, which is the reason for the extra space. So only two pairs would be good. That way the rainbow shark would have enough space to claim a territory too.

The tetras, I bought as target fish for my dempsey, firemouth, and convict, who were mercilessly picking on my severum. They worked out better than I ever dreamed possible, and all 8 are still alive, and happy as can be. They brought the severum out of hiding, gave the three mean fishes something to think about, (after all, how would you react if you were a 2.5" dempsey that's supposed to be mean, fearless, and a bully who spends it's time chasing bigger fish, and a tiny little 1" tetra with funny shaped fins just came up and sat nose to nose with you, without being intimidated?), and basically confuse the **** out of everyone, while giving the severum some protection.. All for $1.50 a fish. LOL. Gotta love them. (The tiniest one is named 8 - the other 7 stick together pretty well, but teeny tiny little 8 goes off on his own, and seems to forget he's supposed to be a schooling fish, so goes to antagonize the bully fish). Every morning, it's the same story - go count all the fish, and mutter "4, 5, 6, 7......(long pause), where's 8?"

Nice! I have three, tigger,the biggest, makes me laugh, cause I got him first, and every time he sees the other two smaller guys "arguing" he just looks at me like, "what did I do to deserve these idiots?"

Any other ideas for schooling fish? (I don't like neons, but do like color, or "flash")

Zebra danios, serpae tetras, bleeding hearts, there's lots of options, just do some research.

Back
Top Bottom