60 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawplanet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi everybody, I've had my new tank for 2 months now. So far, I have these fish in there:
3 Blood Gouramis
3 Pearl Gouramis
3 koi swordtails
6 guppies
2 neon tetras (was at 5. 3 died, i never have luck with them)
1 black molly.

is this too much for my 60 gallon tank? it measures. 4 feet width by 1 feet, and 3 feet tall.

I want to add in
3 dwarf gouramis
1 panda cory
maybe some glowlight tetras or something to have a grand total of 27 fishes. (i heard for feng shui purposes, it's good to have multiple of 9)

but not sure if thats pushing the limit. i keep hearing the rule of thumb, but thought i would ask. my water is consistanly at 25 degrees (77f)

i change out 10 gallons of water every week.

the only thing i would suggest is if you do get the cory get atleast 5 and maybe get more neons because they like schools also. Also i didnt think you could have more than 1 gourami in a tank? Correct me if im wrong but i kinda remember hearing that somewhere

Hello, welcome to the site. I would not recommend adding any more gouramis. They tend to get territorial with each other, and you already have 6. Corys need to be in groups. I would recommend at 5 panda corys.
If you keep your present stock plus add 4 more neons to get a proper school and 5 panda corys, you will have a multiple of 9, and all your fish should be happy. Otherwise, you could get rid of your last 2 neons and get 6 glowlights instead. You don't really have space to add the glowlights, and have proper schools of everything else, and have a multiple of 9 in my opinion.

Thanks for all your quick replies so far.

I have done more research on the Gouramis, and I will not be getting any more!

I will reconsider adding any more fish. i might just leave it at 18.

Thanks for all your quick replies so far.

I have done more research on the Gouramis, and I will not be getting any more!

I will reconsider adding any more fish. i might just leave it at 18.
Neons get stressed really easy though when they do not have a proper school. Stress leads to disease and death in neons. I don't think its a good idea to keep just 2. You could re-home tham and get 2 more mollies instead. Or else, ou could get 2 platys or 2 more guppies.

neons are irritating, if they dont have a school of at least 5 they dont do well... i agree with the post above mine, rehome the neons and get something else, as for not wanting to crowd your tank, i had 8 mollies, 1 neon (i know, not a good idea), 2 plecos, and a snail in a little 10 gallon and everything stayed balanced and none died or even got sick. I recently upgraded to a 30 gallon, so i need to get more fish cause its looking kind of empty :)

Back
Top Bottom