600L tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a new 600l tank, with a sump with the dimensions of 48"x18"x17", which I think will add another 130l to the system volume,

My question is would the reef octopus xp2000 internal skimmer work well on it as that's rated to 600l, or would it be safer to get a xp3000?

Thanks guys for all the help, and if there are people who have a similar sized tank with a different skimmer, please help me out here and say what will work and what will not.

Id get the 3000. Its always good to get a skimmer thats rated for much more then your system volume. Most skimmers are rated for much more than they should be. Skimmer will not have to work as hard and efficient with larger skjmmer and you will get better performance with the larger pump.

Cheers for this, I hope that it will fit into my sump, of not I'll have to try to remove a a bubble trap to enlarge a section for it.

Also forgot to add, what size should the return pump be, I've been looking at something at 9000l an hour? Too much or not enough?

Your return pump should be rated at or a bit over what your overflow is rated. Go with a slightly higher rated return pump and put a ball valve on the return line to control flow back into the tank. If your return pump is pumping faster than your overflow can handle then you can flood your display or run your pump dry. Which ever came first.

The tank I'm looking at has 2 internal overflows, so I'm not sure what it can handle, it says it's got 55mm outlets? Can you help from this?

Not sure what that is in inches but do a google search i know somewhere out there you will find info on pipe diameter and gallons per hour. Im not really sure how much that can handle unless someone else here knows.

Back
Top Bottom