65% recomended filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishstick18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is it okay to only have 65% recomended filtration in a tank? I used a tool (aqadvisor) online which told me that I needed more filtration for my tank. I currently have a 30 gallon tank with 16 fish (I know it might be too many as it says) and a topfin powerfilter 40. I just bought this filter because it had 210 gallons per hour and thought it would be plenty enough to clean up after the fish. Do I need another filter? Or can I stay safe without buying another? Thanks in advance!1482085487297.jpg

That used to be a great site but it does not appear to be maintained properly. 210 GPH is plenty of flow unless you have a bunch of Koi sized gold fish in there.

What happens if you insert that you have an AC70 or a Fluval C4 in there ????

What does it say about your recommended weekly water changes?

Fish...

You don't need more mechanical filtration. Just change more tank water and do it more often. The contraption that hangs on the back of the tank or sits under it, is just taking in toxic water and returning the water a little less toxic. Every tank keeper should be after pure water conditions and this is done by removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days. Take good care of the water and you'll have no tank problems.

B

I think it really depends on what size tank and the stocking. Op??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brook...

I've heard this for several years and and I'm really skeptical of this idea. The longer the same water stays in the tank, the more it changes chemically, through constant filtration, evaporation and by the fish and plants using the traces elements to the point the water is nearly sterile, unable to hold oxygen. By changing most the water every few days, you replace the trace elements, new, treated tap water stays oxygenated and you maintain pure water conditions. Close to the same way nature does things.

B

Brook...

I've heard this for several years and and I'm really skeptical of this idea. The longer the same water stays in the tank, the more it changes chemically, through constant filtration, evaporation and by the fish and plants using the traces elements to the point the water is nearly sterile, unable to hold oxygen. By changing most the water every few days, you replace the trace elements, new, treated tap water stays oxygenated and you maintain pure water conditions. Close to the same way nature does things.

B

So you're telling me that it doesn't matter what size tank it is, what plants are in it, what fish are in it? You do realize that there are more fish out there? Not just live bearers. Your beliefs are dated and I find them impractical. Yes, change water weekly, totally agree there. I also think you should tailor the flow and turnover rate to the inhabitants. I tend to over filter but none of my fish are complaining.

Brook...

You almost got my point. What I'm saying is you should change most of the tank water weekly no matter what's in the tank. One fish and a tank full of plants still needs most of the water changed out every few days, to keep the environment as close to perfect as possible. No amount of mechanical or plant filtration will clean up water that stays in the tank too long. By simply changing half or more of the water every few days, you'll avoid most, if not all tank problems.

B

Brook...

You almost got my point. What I'm saying is you should change most of the tank water weekly no matter what's in the tank. One fish and a tank full of plants still needs most of the water changed out every few days, to keep the environment as close to perfect as possible. No amount of mechanical or plant filtration will clean up water that stays in the tank too long. By simply changing half or more of the water every few days, you'll avoid most, if not all tank problems.

B

Yah...but.... filtration should not be overlooked.

Which fish do you have? What filter were you using before the topfin?
I have 16 fish:
3 killies, 2 mollies, 3 platties, 2 cory catfish, 5 danios, and a swordtail.

This is my first filter

That used to be a great site but it does not appear to be maintained properly. 210 GPH is plenty of flow unless you have a bunch of Koi sized gold fish in there.

What happens if you insert that you have an AC70 or a Fluval C4 in there ????

What does it say about your recommended weekly water changes?
Thank you, and I cannot find those filters under the drop down menu but I see your point. I had my suspisions that a 40gal filter should be plenty for a 30 gallon tank :)

Fish...

You don't need more mechanical filtration. Just change more tank water and do it more often. The contraption that hangs on the back of the tank or sits under it, is just taking in toxic water and returning the water a little less toxic. Every tank keeper should be after pure water conditions and this is done by removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days. Take good care of the water and you'll have no tank problems.

B
Thank you :)

I guess so, I have 16 fish currently and notice waste still on the ground.

Thank you, and I cannot find those filters under the drop down menu but I see your point. I had my suspisions that a 40gal filter should be plenty for a 30 gallon tank :)
For the tank, sure. For the stock, no.

I guess so, I have 16 fish currently and notice waste still on the ground.
No filter is going to pick up waste on the ground. The only thing to remove that waste is vacuuming the substrate.

I have to clean up poops every two or three days. Pooping is one of the things fish do best!

You can reduce the amount of waste by limiting feeding and using a high quality food with the least amount of binders possible.

Filters will absolutely pick up waste anywhere in the tank. Proper flow keeps waste from settling on the substrate. I have 2 6" pleco in my 75, never see a single spec of doo. Gets kicked up and the filters grab it.

Filters will absolutely pick up waste anywhere in the tank. Proper flow keeps waste from settling on the substrate. I have 2 6" pleco in my 75, never see a single spec of doo. Gets kicked up and the filters grab it.

Same with mine. Plants block flow a bit but filter flow seems to do the job. (That's display tank, small tank hob is low flow).

---------------

I agree water changes are important to avoid old tank syndrome, etc but see filtration as an important part of the system depending on stocking and setup.

The filter is fine to start. Be prepared to add another beside it if you have trouble maintaining water parameters, which you can check with an API master test kit or at most fish stores.

If can get a gravel vac, you can clean up the mess off of the bottom of the tank, which will reduce the ammonia produced and help your filter keep up. I always do my water changes from the bottom of the tanks ;)
One tank is running perfectly stocked according to that site, the other is way under-filtered but I don't have any ammonia issues with weekly 50% water changes

Back
Top Bottom