7 day feeder block

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to be out of town this weekend, and my husband is pressuring me to use a feeder block. I don't like this idea as I have only heard negative things about them messing with the water parameters. Its only 4 days and I feel confident that my cichlids aren't going to starve. Any input on this? Maybe ill just "forget".

I would skip the feeder blocks and auto feeders, 4 days is nothing in terms of skipping meals as most fish go weeks without feeding. All they due to pollute and deteriorate your water conditions and while your away this is far from a ideal situation.

christine2012 said:
I'm going to be out of town this weekend, and my husband is pressuring me to use a feeder block. I don't like this idea as I have only heard negative things about them messing with the water parameters. Its only 4 days and I feel confident that my cichlids aren't going to starve. Any input on this? Maybe ill just "forget".

Don't use the feeder block. I have gone away for a week with no problems. Don't overfeed them before you leave. They will be just fine.

glad i ran into this thread, im planning to be gone for a week also this summer and was going to grab an autofeeder, so are you guys saying to just let them go a week without eating? sorry not trying to high jack the thread but i also needed the same advice. thanks.

You guys are confirming my suspicions. Thanks very much! I didn't think it'd be a huge deal for them not to eat. If anything, them not eating will preserve water quality.

christine2012 said:
You guys are confirming my suspicions. Thanks very much! I didn't think it'd be a huge deal for them not to eat. If anything, them not eating will preserve water quality.

To "seal the deal" you will not find a feeder block that contains food that is suitable for cichlids anyway.

I was just gone for 5 days, well I left on a Saturday and came back Friday and didn't feed the fish and they were just fine. I fed them Saturday just before I left and tossed in some algae wafers for all my bottom feeders and I fed them as soon as I got back. They are all doing just fine.

If u think about it a female mouthbrooding cichlid will go 3 weeks or more without food. They will be absolutely fine without food for a week.

christine2012 said:
Well they survived without food. Actually I came home to pristine water and better than ever fish lol!

Yes! when you realize we probably overfeed our fish all the time its easy to be more comfortable going without feedings. I skip feeding sometimes for 2 days in a row like when I work long shifts. My tanks always look better when I do this, but it is hard because It is so much fun to watch them eat and thats usually how I lure the bottom feeders out.

what about two to four week old fry? they are aprox. an 1/8th of an inch long kinda. I'm going to be gone 3 days. someone will be home but im doing evey other day to daily water changes on the three gallon aquarium they are in, and i don't want to leave that to someone. although i am going to try and get a ten up for them before i leave.

Soccerfish said:
what about two to four week old fry? they are aprox. an 1/8th of an inch long kinda. I'm going to be gone 3 days. someone will be home but im doing evey other day to daily water changes on the three gallon aquarium they are in, and i don't want to leave that to someone. although i am going to try and get a ten up for them before i leave.

I don't know about your fry. Mine never live past the time they lose their yolk sac! My cichlids take any chance at a bite of baby.

I'd get the 10 up and they'd be fine a few days. My fry have been left alone for 2 days with no issues, 1 more and they should be ok. But if someone is there is have them fed if you can, just do a water change the day you leave and day you return.

Back
Top Bottom