72 gallon bow set up - Afraid of Techy Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there.

All this techy talk about Co2 and regulators is freakin' me out. I talked with a man yesterday who was telling me I need a co2 tank getting the co2 refilled from Airgas, and regulators and all this stuff to have plants. It is very overwhelming.

Does anyone do any kind of natural plants with just a good light source? Or do I have to go out and buy this stuff and have a bunch of *scuba gear* in my family room just to have some real plants ???

Then he was talking about light fixtures, fertilizer, tank flow, soaking drift wood and all this other lingo.

I really would like to have a few real plants in my 72 gallon along with a piece of drift wood, but this stuff is freakin' me out. Seriously.

:eek: :nono:

Thanks!

No, no, no. It is absolutely not true that you need any sort of high end 'scuba gear' for planted tanks. If you're not looking for a high tech, high demand, high cost, high reward setup, than there is a plethora of options available.

In reality, once you meet the minimum light requirements, there are a number of plants that you can have that will add a lot to your tank, both ecologically and aesthetically.

What we really need to know to help you start you tank is this: How tall is the tank, what kind of light is on it, and if you consider your tank heavily stocked, lightly stocked, etc. If you don't know what kind of lighting you have, than you can describe it for us, ie, a single tube fluorescent going the length of the tank, etc.

THANK YOU!

I just have a basic florescent tube that came with the tank (32 wt). I was going to get Hagen/Fluval double bulb lighting. T5 I understand? (I can buy direct from Hagen plus get Aqueon, Marineland products, etc. as I am a Retailer for pet goods...)

I have a 72 gal bow. It is 48 long, 23 inches tall w/o gravel (I plan to have about 3 inches of small pebble gravel).

My filter will arrive on Tuesday (Fluval FX5).

I wouldn't say I plan to super stock it. But I do plan on having pictus, angels and a variety of gouramis (moving fish from my 36 gal to grow). They will be larger fish though. Probably a dozen of these types of fish. My filter should be able to handle it... No snails.

I truly appreciate your response!

Janelle

You might be hard pressed for light with the stock setup, unfortunately. When you say Hagen fixture, do you mean the Hagen Glo T5HO? Unfortunately, while I own two of their fixtures (a 2x and a 1x bulb), I wouldn't recommend it new as they are pretty overpriced. If you're wanting T5HO bulbs, there are quite a few fixtures available that are cheaper and maybe a bit better. Do be warned though that any T5HO setup can lead to algae if the situation is conducive to it.

The reason I ask about fish is because in moderate to heavily stocked tank, the fish waste can provide much of what is needed for plants to grow.

Yes - the Hagen Glo - I can get all Hagen products at wholesale cost ;) However, I'd be open to other suggestions...

I have put my tank where it will not receive sunlight. I was very strategic in my choice :p It is about 5 feet away from my 36 gallon and I virtually have no algae in that tank. It's wonderful (my 10 gallon in my foyer gets quite a bit of algae and I'm forever scraping as it is in a very sunny room... ugh...)

And I understand that a good water change every week will help reduce the algae problem?? Is this correct? I have no problem with water changes. I have gotten it down pretty good now with my 36 gallon.

I believe that I will develop enough trates from the fishy I put in there to help the plants. Is that what you mean?

Thanks!
Janelle

Hmmm, I guess it would depend on what the 'at cost' price is.... As I said, it is the kind of fixture that I have, and I get decent results with it.

As far as water changes go, you will certainly never help algae by doing water changes. I think that the actual effect on algae might be overstated beyond the normal build up of nitrates, etc.

But yes, fish will use both the nitrates and phosphates (among other recycled goods) from fish poo. It's still good to have some Flourish or other fertilizers on hand in case you do need them though.

What else should I do besides good lighting if I don't want a regulator and CO2? Is there a thread to go to ?

look up on youtube diy c02. all you do is get a 2L bottle and mix yeast ans sugar and it produces c02. its cheap, and i use it for some of my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom