75 gallon african tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riot84

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a 75 gal that I have decided will be an African Cichlid tank. Looking for ideas/suggestions as too which Cichlids to go with as well as which to avoid. I'm hoping to get somewhere between 15 to 20 in there. The tank will be heavily over filtered (2 Aquaclear 110s). There is one peacock at the store I work at that I think is gorgeous and will be getting for sure so keep that in mind when making suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Try to "settle" on a type, like Mbuna, Malawi, or Tanganyika.

Then try to match up by level of Aggression....

that could work out just make sure as they mature that you watch out for there more territorial behaviour as they reach adulthood.

Decided to do a Malawi tank. So what Malawi Cichlids would go well with the OB Peacock we plan to get?

Peacocks do well with other peacocks and the more peaceful mbuna such as rusties and yellow labs. I have one that I bought thinking it was a mbuna that lives with a lab and some zebras but my tank may be an exception since I understocked with 5 cichlids in a 60. It helps keep maintenance easier and also limits aggression IMO.

I'd suggest getting some syndontis catfish like feather fins. Mine get along with the cichlids and add variety as well as cleaning up leftover food.

Nice choice, these guys really are cool fish. :)

So peacocks and labs can go together? I've heard that labs are quite a bit more aggressive than peacocks and would eventually either kill the peacocks or harass them more a lot.

Riot84 said:
So peacocks and labs can go together? I've heard that labs are quite a bit more aggressive than peacocks and would eventually either kill the peacocks or harass them more a lot.

Honestly ive done it. Just keep a close eye on them. Get male peacocks and female labs and u should be fine

15-20 should be fine. i wont advise any further because i dont exactly what some would call an ideal stock list but its worked for me so far. trial and error is usually the best way to go. everything doesnt work for every tank and sometimes odd ball things work that arent always advised.

Well thanks for all the info and help guys. Probably gonna start adding fish in a week or so. How many should i start with? I was gonna do 3 but I've heard that having that small a group could lead to one or two of them being beat up. Any suggestions?

Yeah. been doing fishless since i set it up. Ammonia is at 0, Nitrites are at 0, Nitrates are at <5. Temp is holding steady at 78 and everything seems to be going well so far.

Thank you. The small ones were 30 cent and the bigger ones were 70 cents a piece at home depot. got all the bricks and 100 pounds of sand for less than $20.

What kinde of sand is it called I'm looking for some to buy that's safe 4 fish and cheap

I have quikset all purpose sand in mine........but I heard pool sand is cleaner and clouds less. Or see if your lfs has cichlid sand. For a 50 lb bag of all purpose is like 3 and change.......only thing is you have to clean it for awhile..........I rinsed and cleaned mine out for 3 hours just to make sure it didn't cloud up

Back
Top Bottom