75 gallon angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now I have a 75 gallon tank with the following Stock...
2-PAIRS of GBRs
10-cherry barbs
11-cory cats (mixed types)

I also have a quite a few live plants

How many angels would be an acceptable number for this tank? They would be going in at about a quarter to half dollar size.

I can re-home a pair of GBRs to a friend if need be...

Anything else I could add after the angels? Or would I be stocked?

I say you can put 3 to 4 angels in. In my experience GBR's co-habitate with angels just fine. Adding angels will definitely max you out unless you decide to do just 1.

Having 1 angelfish is always the safest number as their behavior towards each other is unpredictable. Also, adding 1 angel won't max out your stocking. I had 2 males that grew up together as fry and I had to separate them after a year because they just decided they didn't like each other. I didn't know I was getting 2 males when I bought them.

I think 4 angels would be a good number but remember that as the angels reach maturity (which is 8 months) they can begin pairing off and the dynamics of the tank can change. If your lucky and end up with 2 pairs a 75g is big enough to support them. Have a some tall plants or a couple amazon swords helps alot as they break the line of sight in the tank and divide territories. But if you only would get a pair and 2 unpaired you will have to monitor to be sure there isn't alot of aggression.

As for GBR's... they do fine with angels but something I've learned about keeping them over the years is as they get older they get much more aggressive towards other ram pairs. I only have 2 pairs in a 100% planted 220g tank and still have aggression issues sometimes between the pairs. You won't need to rehome any of them unless you start to have bad aggression between the pairs.

What if I re-homed a ram pair? Could I get away with 6-8 angels? I can re-home the left over angels that are not pairing off.....

You could start off with that many to increase the chances of getting pairs, but I'd try to get it down to 4 in the end. If they are adult sized and you have 6 to 8, I'd do 2 water changes a week.

Edit: Also, I think the ram pair will make little difference in this equation.

I agree you could start out with that many but I'd start out with dime to nickel sized ones. Then once they mature and pair off I'd only keep 2 pairs max. I keep 12 adult angels in a 100% planted 220.

Back
Top Bottom