75 Gallon Goldfish - help with setup please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had fish tanks for many years but took time off after my saltwater tank was destroyed by a faulty heater. I want a 75 gallon goldfish tank and am making my list. I need help with choices for filters, substrate, and lighting.
My budget (without fish and including cycling and ammonia/water treatments) is $500-$600.

I already have the stand and the tank is Top Fin® 75 Gallon Aquarium Hood Combo from PetSmart for $175 on sale. Dimensions are 48.5" x 18.5" x 21.7"

I have spent the day reading the articles and forums here. I have probably 5 freshwater books and two new goldfish books. But I can't interpret the exact needs of my tank by piecing together info from other setups that don't match mine. So I apologize in advance if it seems like I didn't do my homework.

Please give specific recommendations for:
1. I want to get the cool LED lighting that will show off the fish color and maybe do the shimmering effect of sunlight through water.

2. Most of the money will be spent on the filters. I have a HOB bio wheel filter for 55 gallon tank from my last setup. I wasn't planning on using that (because goldfish need more than that and I might use that for a smaller quarantine tank). I would like a UV sterilizer and was wondering if the canister filter was the best way to go. I have never used either.

3. What substrate would best show off the fish? I was thinking about the black sand or gravel. (I have a natural rock bed tank set up already in the same room) I haven't seen many goldfish set ups here...

4. If I use 2 heaters for this tank, what wattage should they be?

Thank you very much,
Tracy

For filters I like canisters. I heard the marineland c series are good. As for LED's try and avoid the bright red and green flashing ones as these look unnatural but soft white ones are good.black gravels great. Also try not to obsess over showing them off keep the take natural and non stressful and the fish will reward you. As for heater wattage I usually go by how many gallons there rated for on the box

I chose the Fluval 406 canister filter and have the rest of the hardware in my virtual shopping cart.

I cannot decide on the substrate. Natural or black?

Decorating it is still up in the air. I really like the idea of driftwood either fake or real.

What type of goldfish do you have in mind? Dw, real or fake, can be dangerous to fancies especially delicate ones. I prefer sand for goldies but everyone is different. Pool filter sand is easy and inexpensive option though black sand will likely show off their color better. No risks of swallowing gravel either.

I am looking at orandas and ryukins.
I think I'll go with sand.
Fake driftwood would probably be better.

I like the look of these rock backgrounds

But the foreground would be pretty bare. I have silk and plastic plants...and can look at fake roots or rock outcrops...

You can get black blasting grit at places like tractor supply co. if you want to save a little money on black sand. Just be sure to rinse it very well, it is pretty dusty. I spent maybe $7 on a 50 lb bag that was more than enough for my 56 gallon tank. I still have most of the bag.

I'm going with black substrate and a black background.
Still shopping.

Alyxx, how did you rinse the blasting grit? I bought a 50 pound bag but have been scratching my head on the best way to rinse it.

We put the tank on the stand and I looked at the floor and realized that once the tank is full I will be stuck with the ugly green linoleum forever. So we are going to replace the floor first... slight delay!

I put it in some buckets and rinsed it in my tub. I just filled the buckets halfway with sand and then filled with water, swished it around, poured off the dirty water and repeated until it ran pretty much clean. If I had to do it of again I would have rinsed it in a pillowcase, though. That would be easier. Just put some sand in a pillowcase, tie it off, and run water over the pillowcase until the water runs clean. Makes less of a mess.

Also, good idea replacing the floor first! It's not fun breaking down a tank and moving it, especially a large one. Good luck with the floor replacement!

I bought a black background and will put it on before I set up the tank-- I heard it is way too difficult once it is set up. Never occurred to me until I read the pained comments from other people.

Back
Top Bottom