75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't see it but if you can get a more clear explanation that would help does he mean use your 40 gallon as a sump with your filter on it so it's not on your 75?

ryan-peddle said:
I really don't see it but if you can get a more clear explanation that would help does he mean use your 40 gallon as a sump with your filter on it so it's not on your 75?

The 40 gallon would be used as a sump and then the fx5 would be used as the return pump (pump the water back to the show tank).
I am going to give this explanation another shot... the water will flow out of the main tank (through the over flow) into the 40 gallon. The intake of the filter will be attached to the 40 gallon then the output of the filter will be attached to the 75 gallon.
I don't think I changed that explanation from the first one lol

fishfanatic said:
The 40 gallon would be used as a sump and then the fx5 would be used as the return pump (pump the water back to the show tank).
I am going to give this explanation another shot... the water will flow out of the main tank (through the over flow) into the 40 gallon. The intake of the filter will be attached to the 40 gallon then the output of the filter will be attached to the 75 gallon.
I don't think I changed that explanation from the first one lol

Maybe someone will chime in that understands what I am trying to say and explain it in a way that everyone will understand. Sorry I am not good at explaining things

it might would add more space for bacteria to grow but i dont see why you would put a sump on a freshwater tank

allaboutfish said:
it might would add more space for bacteria to grow but i dont see why you would put a sump on a freshwater tank

What it would do is turn a 75 gallon tank into a 115 gallon tank. I could only stock 75 gallons of it but I would have more water volume to make my tank more stable.
Do you still think it is a worthless idea?

i mean you can see if it works. it's kind of like connecting 2 tanks, but what are the benefits? you cant really keep more angels bc of the space.

allaboutfish said:
i mean you can see if it works. it's kind of like connecting 2 tanks, but what are the benefits? you cant really keep more angels bc of the space.

I don't know what to do. Now that I think about it I will just have to use that much more co2 and that much more to fertalize. I just don't know!

I can see it working it will without a doubt keep your water more stable but I don't know if I would use your filter as a pump I would just use a pump rated for that volume also a couple check valves incase of a power outage

ryan-peddle said:
I can see it working it will without a doubt keep your water more stable but I don't know if I would use your filter as a pump I would just use a pump rated for that volume also a couple check valves incase of a power outage

I am not going to mess with it. I am just going to use the fx5 as it was designed to be used. I think the fx5 will be more than enough filteration, after all it is rated for a tank up to 400 gallons

Here is what I have in mind:
1 breeding pair of anglefish
2-3 kribensis
6 or so gardneri killifish
1 GBR
And maybe a school of small tetras

What do you think? Could I keep any rainbow fish in there? (Example: Turquoise rainbow)

You might end up having to make sure your GBR gets food in my experience with them they will not fight for food pretty timid as for rainbows I have no experience with them maybe someone else will chime in

Back
Top Bottom