75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is what I have in mind:
1 breeding pair of anglefish
2-3 kribensis
6 or so gardneri killifish
1 GBR
And maybe a school of small tetras

What do you think? Could I keep any rainbow fish in there? (Example: Turquoise rainbow)
only one kribensis unless you keep females bc they will kill the rest of the fish. you could do the small school of tetras and rainbowfish IMO, but watch the angelfish for aggression. you might wanna have that 40 gallon ready just in case the angels get aggressive.

I am think (as of now) that I will keep my 40 gallon running under the 75 (in the stand) and use it as a quoritine tank. But I have a question how do you keep a quoritine tank cycled? I ask this because there will be no source of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive.

fishfanatic said:
I am think (as of now) that I will keep my 40 gallon running under the 75 (in the stand) and use it as a quoritine tank. But I have a question how do you keep a quoritine tank cycled? I ask this because there will be no source of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive.

Do you have to keep adding ammonia everyday?

the best way is to keep like an aquacleaar 50 on your main tank and then just fill the 40 and switch over filters when you need it

ryan-peddle said:
I run an extra filter on my main tank and switch it over to the qt when I need it or just keep shrimp or snails in it

I have an extra penguin Bio wheel filter that I am currently not using, it is rated for up to a 30 gallon tank. Will this be good enough?
I would like to have red cherry shrimp, but that would mean that I would need a light over the tank (algae) for the shrimp. Or would the cherry shrimp eat flake food?

The bio wheel will keep the cycle going just run it on your main tank till you need it then switch it over to qt you will be surprised how fast it will cycle

If I were to go the shrimp route in the 40 gallon, could I just feed the shrimp flake fish food? I already have a fluval 305 that I can put on the 40 gallon I just don't want to run the fx5 and the 305 both on the 75 gallon.
Here I another idea I want to see if it would work... if it came time to use the 40 gallon could I just remove some filter media from the fx5 and put it in the penguin filter?

Absolutely or Iam not to familiar with the fx5 but if you can fit extra floss media in it the just switch it over for a insta cycle but I would go the route of the shrimp if the 40 isn't empty yet just put a light on it and it should be fine I am not sure about flake food as I never used it with shrimp

What would be a good light (to sustain algae). Would the shrimp be okey if it was just an empty tank? (Ex: no rocks, no dw, no plants)

I think so maybe just a couple plastic plants or a couple big rocks and any light will do you don't have to get fancy if you have one around or the original canopy it will suffice

I can't decide if it takes a complete geniuses or a complete idiot to make something like this... (a co2 reactor). How long should the middle part (the peace that is missing) be?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110630_180942.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110630_180942.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 115
fishfanatic said:
I can't decide if it takes a complete geniuses or a complete idiot to make something like this... (a co2 reactor). How long should the middle part (the peace that is missing) be?

Would 10 inches be long enough?

I am going to make it 20 inches long, hopefully that is long enough. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell me if that is long enough and also tell me if there has to be Bio balls in the reactor

ryan-peddle said:
Try making a post in the DIY sectionoght get a good reply or there might be a good thread about DIY reactors

I made a thread in the DIY and I got a response in like 30 seconds, it should be as long as you can make it.

Would it be too much filteration if I had both a fluval fx5 and a fluval 305 on the 75 gallon? That way if I ever needed a qt I have a seeded filter all ready.

Back
Top Bottom